Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-12-2008, 12:36 AM   #11
Sliced Bread

Why 18000K? I'll be interested to see what your plants do under that lighting.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:49 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Because I have no idea what that number rating means, and when I was shopping, the higher that number was, the higher the price was.
I figured that meant that the number had something to do with quality or brightness. I was told that I needed more intense light to raise plants, so I went with the highest number. Can you tell I'm a bit of an impulse shopper?

What does that number mean anyway? Can anyone tell me the benefits of using a higher or lower number in different environments?

Old 04-12-2008, 03:14 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to Karegg
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatatonicBug View Post
Because I have no idea what that number rating means, and when I was shopping, the higher that number was, the higher the price was.
I figured that meant that the number had something to do with quality or brightness. I was told that I needed more intense light to raise plants, so I went with the highest number. Can you tell I'm a bit of an impulse shopper?

What does that number mean anyway? Can anyone tell me the benefits of using a higher or lower number in different environments?
I don't know much about lighting or planted tanks, but I do know that research is key. Probably wouldn't have been a bad idea to know before buying, but it makes for a cool forum story
Old 04-12-2008, 10:48 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

For info on plant requirements, make a post in the Planted Forum. We have many plant guru's that can help you out.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:13 AM   #15
Sliced Bread

Here's the quick and dirty summary. That K (Kelvin) number represents the color of the light. Some light is yellowish, some is whitish, some is blueish, etc. I imagine that 18000K has a very crisp white with a nice blue tint to it. Higher K numbers are good for SW reef tanks, but I don't know they'd be good on a planted tank. While corals and SW stuff probably would enjoy that color of light (when I say color it's literally the area of the color spectrum the light bulb produces), plants prefer a slightly warmer light, between 5000K and 10000K. Now, that being said, I've never attempted to grow plants higher than 10000K, so I can't speak to what will really happen from personal experience.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:42 PM   #16
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Very nice looking tank. I was looking at your tanks in your sig and a sw tank sure would look nice there. LOL

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 06:32 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I wish... I have a hard enough time getting the funding I need for this FW tank. I can only imagine how much it would cost to run a SW tank. I see some of the threads on this site talking about people using "extra" 150g tanks in the basement as filtration systems and all sorts of stuff like that. I think I'll stick with this for now.

I do have an extra 20g that I have been thinking about turning into an underwater garden though. Maybe in the next few weeks I'll look into that idea some more.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:01 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

updated pics

Here are a few new pics of my 47g tank. My Labs sat still long enough for a couple of good ones, and I even got one of a neon. The Moneywort and Cabomba just keep growing taller and taller. I used my 10g as a nursery for the plants until they had roots, so I could plant them without the Sevrum uprooting them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	full tank 2 071408.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	14218   Click image for larger version

Name:	lab 1 071408.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	14219  

Click image for larger version

Name:	neon 071408.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	14220   Click image for larger version

Name:	full tank1 071408.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	14221  

CatatonicBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:13 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey nice pics!
What fish do you have in there and how many? I know you have yellow labs, just not sure exactly what those are or much about them.

I may be setting up a simple 45G tank here shortly so looking for ideas
Understanding the basics will let you make informed decisions on what advice to follow, and what advice is just plain hooey!
SpeedEuphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:32 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

At this point, my livestock in this tank is as follows:
1 Turquoise Sevrum (the big guy)
3 Otos
2 Yellow Labs
8 Neon tetras
2 Red Minor tetras
2 Long-finned red minor tetras
1 Honey Sunset Gourami

I have had a few people discourage me from having the yellow labs in this community tank. So far, they have been fine, but I am told that as they get bigger, they might get a bit aggressive. I've been having the most fun with the plants lately. Now that they are growing well, I just keep adding more. I really don't like the castle thing, but my wife likes it. Because it's white, it seems to be an algae magnet. I don't get a lot anymore, but it seems to appear on the castle only a few days after sanitizing it. I clean the glass about once a week, but the algae on the glass is very minimal.

I guess the only thing I wish I could do is completely eliminate algae growth. Is that even possible?

CatatonicBug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com