Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-18-2010, 10:23 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

But why does he seem like he's doing so well in my 125 gallon though? I mean obviously I can't know what he feels or how he feels inside, but he just seems so happy and healthy. Seems to have quite a bit of room too in the 125 for him. If the tank was to small for him and it effected his health because he is upset he doesn't have enough room to swim, wouldn't he just die? And I figured a 180 would be perfect for him (after all I'm only having one ray and that's all)

I dont know really, all I know is I'm really enjoying him and he seems to be really happy and healthy!

Steve

Old 03-19-2010, 03:38 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

He might be fine NOW. And that is fine, i have no problem with people having a pet and upgrading tanks as it gets larger. The 180 gallons is actually pretty darn close so you would be pretty much set. The 24" width is what is really important. They just do better with that extra foot or two of length is all. IMO you would be pretty much set, it is that extra foot or 2 are just a little bit better. You also have to remember that stingrays are surprisingly very active. What is his length in diameter would you say and his length? Also if you could snap a pic of him unburied.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:54 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Flake
I'd think he'd need a bit more than 24" myself, he's going to be 10" in diameter and close to 2 feet long. The wider a tank you can ger, the happier he'll be.

However, I'm glad he's doing well, I just want to make sure he'll continue to do well for you.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:56 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flake View Post
I'd think he'd need a bit more than 24" myself, he's going to be 10" in diameter and close to 2 feet long. The wider a tank you can ger, the happier he'll be.
Ya, that is why a pond is suggested for them. But you do what you need to do. It is hard to find a tank larger then 24".
Old 03-21-2010, 02:29 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah I mean when I bought my 180 gallon at my LFS the store owner told me unless you custom order a tank (BIG BUCKS) 24" is the largest usually a tank goes wideness wise. He said I could've gone for a 240 gallon but that wouldn't have helped the width. I'd love to do a pond type thing for the Ray, I just don't have the room. I think the 180 should be great for him though! I'm so excited.

Steve
Old 03-21-2010, 03:57 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice ray and congrats on keeping an animal everyone says you can't. Good luck with ur bigger tank too.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:06 PM   #17
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_BroncoFan View Post
Nice ray and congrats on keeping an animal everyone says you can't.
Having a hard time understanding what you mean. Maybe you can expound on it.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:12 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
Having a hard time understanding what you mean. Maybe you can expound on it.
He had made the comment that a lot of people told him he shouldn't bother keeping a stingray because it'll just die etc.. and I'm just commending him on his efforts to persevere through the discouragment and succeed with an animal he likes. For example people will say don't keep bettas with community fish(my father inlaw haha) yet he admires the fact that I have 3 in there. That's all I was saying. Hope I didn't offend anyone.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:21 PM   #19
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

You didnt offend anyone. I was just asking. One thing about aquarium sites is that when you post on them everyone has the right to post their opinions and advice and experiences. I dont believe anyone is talking just to talk or discourage anyone. The OP has the choice to read all the post and decide which to go with.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:54 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_BroncoFan View Post
Nice ray and congrats on keeping an animal everyone says you can't. Good luck with ur bigger tank too.
Thanks! It really is true though, even my LFS who I'm real good friends discouraged me not to have a Ray and says they do horrible in captivity. I knew I could do it though, just a little extra care involved is all and keeping friend carbon in the refugium often.

Steve

Tags
sting, stingray

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com