Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-21-2010, 06:34 PM   #21
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_BroncoFan View Post
Nice ray and congrats on keeping an animal everyone says you can't. Good luck with ur bigger tank too.
Maybe your jumping the gun a litttle here. I wouldn't consider keeping an animal alive for 6 months a success. They have a life span of 8-10 years.

I wish Steve the best of luck keeping it, and in 4-5 years would love to see a pic of the same stingray. That, IMO, would be considered a success.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:42 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt View Post
Maybe your jumping the gun a litttle here. I wouldn't consider keeping an animal alive for 6 months a success. They have a life span of 8-10 years.

I wish Steve the best of luck keeping it, and in 4-5 years would love to see a pic of the same stingray. That, IMO, would be considered a success.
I didnt catch the 6 months part, my apologies

Old 03-21-2010, 11:57 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here it is everybody, a full body shot of my stingray and he's out of the sand swimming. I tried to get a real close one of him as well.

And hey 6 months is 6 months to me! Especially for an animal considered "tough" to be kept in captivity. Were not just talking damsels or anything like that, ya know?

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0052.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	23085   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0054.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	23086  

Old 03-22-2010, 02:27 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow. So is the whole tank just sand and the ray?

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:09 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sand, Ray and Live Rock. He needs all the room for himself, though when I get the 180 gallon up and running I plan on adding a few other things. Maybe a Wrasse or an Eel. We'll see, for now he's it.

Steve
Old 04-12-2010, 01:51 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to match55 Send a message via MSN to match55 Send a message via Yahoo to match55
<3 your ray!!!, I am planning to get a ray too,
48"x36"x18", do u guys think a Cortez Stingray will do well in this thank?
Old 04-12-2010, 05:50 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

very sweet. i wish i could get a fw ray but they are illegal in cali. i think in fl at least with fw rays you need a permit not 100% sure though.... wounder what the laws are for sw.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:47 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

No laws on sw rays but i feel the same about freshwater rays and i am pretty sure they are illegal here too.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:14 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by match55 View Post
<3 your ray!!!, I am planning to get a ray too,
48"x36"x18", do u guys think a Cortez Stingray will do well in this thank?
Thanks! The width is great but I don't think the length of the tank will be good enough, I think they prefer a really long tank like the 180 gallon I just got which is 72" long.

Is a Cortez fresh or salt?

Steve
Old 05-02-2010, 03:35 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratmaster View Post
Thanks! The width is great but I don't think the length of the tank will be good enough, I think they prefer a really long tank like the 180 gallon I just got which is 72" long.

Is a Cortez fresh or salt?

Steve
Cortez is salt. . . I have one in my 150 gallon tank currently (when he gets too big for the tank, I will take him to a local tropical.freshwater store called Dallas North Aquarium and they can resell him to someone with a larger tank). He is very friendly and feeds out of my hand at either the top of the tank, or I will put food down on the sand to let him take it from my hand there. I've had my tank for about 2 months, and while I have read all of these people talking about measuring success in years, I am considering my tank to be a very large success just because this is my first tank.

As far as companion fish for the ray, I've been told to avoid wrasses, triggers, and puffers, as they tend to be exploratory/aggressive with the rays and can bite and pick at their skin/eyes. . . My maroon gold-banded clown seems to be doing fine with the ray. . .

My tank is filled with mostly hermits and starfish. . . I have a little live rock so that the clown has a place to sleep and the serpent stars have places to hide. . . I also have a few snails and a coral-banded shrimp (to take out bristle worms). . . So far everything seems to be going well. . .

I encourage you with your ray, and just hope that, if you can't get him a bigger home (like will be the problem for me), you find a place that can. . .

Tags
sting, stingray

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com