My Stingray!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice ray and congrats on keeping an animal everyone says you can't. Good luck with ur bigger tank too.
Maybe your jumping the gun a litttle here. I wouldn't consider keeping an animal alive for 6 months a success. They have a life span of 8-10 years.

I wish Steve the best of luck keeping it, and in 4-5 years would love to see a pic of the same stingray. That, IMO, would be considered a success.

Maybe your jumping the gun a litttle here. I wouldn't consider keeping an animal alive for 6 months a success. They have a life span of 8-10 years.

I wish Steve the best of luck keeping it, and in 4-5 years would love to see a pic of the same stingray. That, IMO, would be considered a success.

I didnt catch the 6 months part, my apologies

Here it is everybody, a full body shot of my stingray and he's out of the sand swimming. I tried to get a real close one of him as well.

And hey 6 months is 6 months to me! Especially for an animal considered "tough" to be kept in captivity. Were not just talking damsels or anything like that, ya know?

Steve

Attachments

• IMAG0052.jpg
    IMAG0052.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 108
  • IMAG0054.jpg
    IMAG0054.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 73
Sand, Ray and Live Rock. He needs all the room for himself, though when I get the 180 gallon up and running I plan on adding a few other things. Maybe a Wrasse or an Eel. We'll see, for now he's it.

Steve

<3 your ray!!!, I am planning to get a ray too,
48"x36"x18", do u guys think a Cortez Stingray will do well in this thank?

very sweet. i wish i could get a fw ray but they are illegal in cali. i think in fl at least with fw rays you need a permit not 100% sure though.... wounder what the laws are for sw.

No laws on sw rays but i feel the same about freshwater rays and i am pretty sure they are illegal here too.

<3 your ray!!!, I am planning to get a ray too,
48"x36"x18", do u guys think a Cortez Stingray will do well in this thank?

Thanks! :) The width is great but I don't think the length of the tank will be good enough, I think they prefer a really long tank like the 180 gallon I just got which is 72" long.

Is a Cortez fresh or salt?

Steve

Thanks! :) The width is great but I don't think the length of the tank will be good enough, I think they prefer a really long tank like the 180 gallon I just got which is 72" long.

Is a Cortez fresh or salt?

Steve

Cortez is salt. . . I have one in my 150 gallon tank currently (when he gets too big for the tank, I will take him to a local tropical.freshwater store called Dallas North Aquarium and they can resell him to someone with a larger tank). He is very friendly and feeds out of my hand at either the top of the tank, or I will put food down on the sand to let him take it from my hand there. I've had my tank for about 2 months, and while I have read all of these people talking about measuring success in years, I am considering my tank to be a very large success just because this is my first tank.

As far as companion fish for the ray, I've been told to avoid wrasses, triggers, and puffers, as they tend to be exploratory/aggressive with the rays and can bite and pick at their skin/eyes. . . My maroon gold-banded clown seems to be doing fine with the ray. . .

My tank is filled with mostly hermits and starfish. . . I have a little live rock so that the clown has a place to sleep and the serpent stars have places to hide. . . I also have a few snails and a coral-banded shrimp (to take out bristle worms). . . So far everything seems to be going well. . .

I encourage you with your ray, and just hope that, if you can't get him a bigger home (like will be the problem for me), you find a place that can. . .

That captivity comment that you said people said to you struct me. Like certain sharks, certain stingrays can't be held in captivity. I'm not too sure on which sting rays can't be held captive but for sharks, I know for a fact that white death sharks and blue sharks can't be held captive. It depends on what breed they are. If the california does well captive, you will be fine as long as you have the requirements for it to survive. I wouldn't let people's opinions strike you as long as you have an opinion of your own. You just need to study up as much as you can but it seems that you know quite a bit about the california stingray so I have to give you your props.

Back
Top Bottom