Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-20-2003, 03:57 PM   #1

My Tank On My Desk At Work

Just thought I would post a pic of my desktop tank at work...
Old 08-20-2003, 06:31 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I think it is great!

Old 08-20-2003, 07:56 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Very cool ~ I wish I could!!
ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 10:57 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Timbo, I've really been considering a "desktop reef"... something onthe order of maybe 5 gallons... can you tell me a little about your setup? The equipment you have... looks like just HOT filter and heater, LS,LR... is that it? NO lights? very curious!

thanks!
Old 08-21-2003, 02:56 PM   #5

I bought the Galaxy 5 from WalMart for $29 on sale... It came with an 8 watt eclipse tube in it.. Matter of fact, it is an eclipse tank marked AquaTech, Galaxy 5, sold by WalMart.

The sand is Carribsea Flamingo Reef Sand and it is about 7 lbs worth.

The rocks are some that came out of my tank at home, also about 7 lbs.

I took the filter mechanism that came with it, out, and replaced it with a HOB filter for a 10 gal.. Something cheap, I believe it is Primo or something like that... Anyway, there is no filter media except for carbon. No floss or anything, the LR and LS do that for me..

I also went to Wal Mart later and bought two 13 watt PC desk lamps and tore them apart, re-wired them. I took out the 8 watt POC that was in the hood, and replaced it with the 13 watt PC's.. I then ordered 2 50/50 13 watt PC's from AH Supply. These will be in today and I will change out the yellow looking bulbs for those.. BTW, the Desk lamps came with 6400K lamps in them.. and the lamp was $10...

Anyways, I change about 2 quarts water per week, and try to keep the PO4 and NO3 down... The carbon keeps it crystal clear...

I am battling some hair and cyano in it right now, but it will be overcome.

If you do this at work, beware that you will get a lot of visitors at your desk... And soon have to charge 25 cents for viewing... Lets face it, it buys an ice cold Coca Cola every now and again..
Old 08-21-2003, 03:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hey BillyZ, here's a cool site to check out:

http://www.oc-creative.com/reef/
Old 08-21-2003, 03:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

That looks great! Unfortunately I work in a completely PC environment and with my luck it would "offend" someone. So I'll just be envious of yours....
Old 08-21-2003, 06:36 PM   #8

Thats funny, I work in a complete PC environment too...Everyone loves it until I tell them how much money it cost to start and maintain one...
Old 08-21-2003, 07:32 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Thanks for the info! I'm deffinitly going to have to consider this.... Should probalby check with the boss type to be sure there's no issues. hell... might even be able to convince him the Dept needs a dept tank.. could get bigger than a 5 gal!

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com