Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-30-2008, 02:49 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Nice tank, but 50 fish is way too much for a tank that size, even when most of them are small.
While the fish might be still alive after a year, it doesn't mean they could be doing much better. Filtering is not the main issue, because you seem to think that a bigger filter give you more room to add more fish. The main issue is stress, something that you often only see the negative effects of in the long run. It's like stress with people; on the outside you might not see anything wrong, in the long time several physical problems might start to pop up. You see the same problem with birds and other animals.
Getting that bigger tank is going to have a positive effect, but if you start adding lots of larger fish, then you will continue to have this problem of overstocking.

Anyway, it's your tank, I'm just giving you some well meant advice.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:59 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to whiddett
You are probably right and I will probably cut the number of fish in my Rio 125 tank once I have the Vision 260 up and running.
Of the 50 fish, 8 of them are shrimps which arent exactly fish so the 50 maybe isnt quite as many as it sounds. Those algae shrimps really are excellent at cleaning up the tank you know.
I plan on being much more selective in my choice of fish for the new setup and planning it out alot more and keeping the numbers down.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:05 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to black hills tj Send a message via MSN to black hills tj Send a message via Yahoo to black hills tj
Sounds like you have good intentions and are heading down the right road I know I have a habit of overstocking as well, so I know how you feel.

http://www.bhtj.net
black hills tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:12 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to whiddett
I just wanted to update my list of fish as I have my new 260 litre tank and have moved some of the fish over:
2 scissor tails
2 hara hara catfish
1 leopard catfish
1 botia
2 black tetras
7 cardinals
8 neons
2 male guppies
2 rosy tetras
1 ancistrous plec
6 algae shrimps
1 red tail shark
3 five striped barbs
1 honey gourami
1 Peppered Cory

Still quite a big stock but heading in the right direction I think
The Leopard Cat will be moving for sure when the new tank's cycle completes as he is a bit big for the 125 litre tank.

Tags
tropical

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com