Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-27-2005, 11:01 AM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
New 20 gal Nano reef

Over the weekend we got Kaya's reef tank setup and running. Not much to look at now as the water is still very cloudy from the sand but here are some general photos of the setup.

http://www.photolocker.net/gallery.p...ef&u=fishfreek

The setup is a 20 gal tank with a 5 gal sump. Their is a 100W heater and a Mag5 return pump in the sump.

The return plumbing includes a true union right above the pump, a ball valve above it and a one way gate valve above it. The rest of the return plumbing is 1/2" PVC.

The tank is lit with a 250W 20K XM MH bulb using a Blueline electronic ballast. The tank is kept cool with a 4" icecap variable fan. On some inside caonpy photos you can see the thrmo sensor that is mounted about middle way down the canopy. As the air in the canopy heats up the fan speeds up. I have the fan blowing cool air into the canopy. There is also an icecap moonlight LED that is mounted beside the MH bulb that is on all the time. It really makes the tank look cool at night.

On some of the photos you might see a green bungi strap. Thats what I have rigged up to keep kaya out of the stand. In addition on the left side of the tank I fashoned up a tank stand extension to go back to the wall to keep prying hands away.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 11:08 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cool. I bet she loves it. I've seen how enamored she is with your other tanks. Can't wait for updates.

Old 07-27-2005, 11:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's exciting! Can't wait to see it grow...

What kinda livestock are you thinking about? Cant wait to set up a nano..
Old 07-27-2005, 12:11 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Givent the lighting Im anticipating SPS and a clam amongst a few small fish (thinking a pair of nemo's) and a cleaner shrimp.

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:33 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
i can't believe you called them "Nemo's"!

Looks like it will be awesome.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
i can't believe you called them "Nemo's"!
I Cant believe it either!

In my previous post I was going to say maybe you couldget some nemo's, but I retyped it so I wouldnt get a good bashing... :P

But....since FF can say it, I am going to too!! Nemo, Nemo, Nemo!!!

PS. I also want a "Dori Fish" in the future...
Old 07-27-2005, 04:59 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Ya your tank will support a Dori. My 20 wont. I would say that we will let Kaya pick out her own fish but I know the realistic options are so limiting it would be impossible to let her understand why she cant have that bright yellow fish. Reasoning like that with a 15month old just doesnt happen.

I really like skunk clowns so we might do them. Honestly the wife will play a big role in this as its her tank by assocation.

Old 07-28-2005, 01:25 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to dr_girlfriend
Wish I got a MH lighted reef tank when I was 15 months old Or is it really for the baby hmmmmm...... Just kidding.
Cant wait to see it stocked!! Nanos rock, and so do nemos

We weep for the bird's cry, but not for the blood of a fish. Blessed are those who have voice.

Pinky: "What are those Brain?" (pointing to a group of people protesting)
Brain: "People without jobs Pinky."

N. California aquarium maintenance, scuba certification, and boat services.

Need computer services in N. California? Click here!
dr_girlfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 02:43 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
I also wish my parents were so cool! I think this just plain rocks! My 16 month old daughter is happy looking at FW fish but a reef would be great!
btw. what exactly could you put in the tank? are you limited by how much light you have.. it seems like alot of light for a little tank, I would think you could have anything that would be small enough to fit in there.. I guess I need to do some reef research..

Tags
20 gallon, nano, nano reef, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com