New 55G saltwater love it !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, what filtration are you use ing. Second, I would like to summon bigred and Bribo.

Canister and it's great

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Canisters are bad choises for saltwater because they turn into nitrate bombs. Do you have live rock, live sand, and how long did you cycle your tank?

Not to be rude thanks but I have had saltwater tanks a long time. This is my third running one right now and I know what I'm doing thanks though. I also have a 75, 200 and a nano. Now this one. I love my canisters. :)

Canisters aren't bad as long is maintenance is kept up. I've never understood why people say they're nitrate factories when they typically have very similar media in HOBs. Yet I never hear about those being an issue when it comes to nitrates. That Picasso is going to outgrow that tank though.

Yes he will graduate to my bigger tanks as he grows he is beautiful though lol. Yes I've never had a problem with canisters I love them I always have had them and I love them :)

I had them too and liked how quiet they were. I was just worried they'd leak or something. I'm kinda paranoid... But id love to have one like that but I only have a 55... I'd love to see that 200 :D

Canisters aren't bad as long is maintenance is kept up. I've never understood why people say they're nitrate factories when they typically have very similar media in HOBs. Yet I never hear about those being an issue when it comes to nitrates. That Picasso is going to outgrow that tank though.

Yeah, I question some of the advice offered here at times, canisters being nitrate factories being one of the more common misconceptions endlessly parroted around.
ANY type of filtration method that employs any type of mechanical component where detritus will accumulate has the potential to be a "nitrate factory" if not maintained regularly and properly, even a live rock & skimmer only set-up.

My only question is about the choice of substrate as what you have offers no ph buffering capabilities. Not that you can't work with it, just colored gravel isn't often employed in salt set-ups. Nor does it offer the same degree of surface area and subsequent populations of BB as sand or crushed coral would. Colored gravel is often coated and that eliminates any micro-fissures and any internal surface area, something very much needed to help with nitrate breakdown.

Plus I fear that clown fish is going to get it's butt kicked by the damsels, especially the three-spot ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the clown getting owned. Domino damsels are brutal jerks lol. Is there not a single pound of live rock in there? Another question, were all these fish just added at once? I'm guessing no but just double checking. The gravel and fake stuff is not my cup of tea and like PB said not the best way to maintain a sw setup but that's also my opinion. How old is this tank? I'd love to see pics of the 200 :D

To be honest I like the gravel my nano has sand and I hate it so much I'm going to change that over soon. My fish all get along great so far. My clown is more mean to them lol they are my babies lol. I'll post my 200 when I get home

To be honest I like the gravel my nano has sand and I hate it so much I'm going to change that over soon. My fish all get along great so far. My clown is more mean to them lol they are my babies lol. I'll post my 200 when I get home

I understand personal preference as long as you understand having gravel substrate will play havoc with your ph.

Here is part of my 200. Thinking about adding some things not sure what though lol :)ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407103055.175891.jpg

Can we get a FTS? What all livestock is in there, I see a couple rare species already ;)

Curious, which ones do you consider rare?
I see those 4 rather frequently in stores.
Clown trigger, very common
Miniatus grouper, again rather common
I believe that is a Townsends Queen, a little less common, except juveniles
and a Tessalata eel (I think) not as common for sure, but still readily available if you have the $$$$$
I do realize that different species are not readily available in some areas, but I see those four all the time.
I sure as heck can't afford them, but I see them and drool each time.

The eel and the grouper, don't see a lot in my area. But I've always run nanos so never really looked either ;)

Yeah the eel is rare if for no other reason than cost. Around here that eel would fetch $300-$400 easy in a lfs, the trigger about $150 for that size and the angel about $200-$250 for an adult.
The grouper I see often as juveniles for around $50.

must be nice to have deep pockets. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom