New Addition to My Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My friend gave me two black mystery snails (I think) and they are happily exploring their new world:

img_1079603_0_9cd396d7b360ffb2a47cc57ea667545b.jpg

img_1079603_1_57cb93f07efb2c602295207090399b87.jpg

img_1079603_2_e29a7fe2f3947ea5819f757ee8e15c58.jpg

img_1079603_3_c0ff0c346c0a830bd3a9c13cd5dadce7.jpg

img_1079603_4_75e7c99305d321936f02c0bb9679aa32.jpg

img_1079603_5_adf0f2799050aacbdd902d415c528784.jpg

img_1079603_6_66c9cf64afb8eb8a4677627a9a38a636.jpg

Yep, definitley mysteries! Their shells could use a little work though. Try grinding up some cuttle bone and sprinkling it in the tank or filter. I know mine looked 100 times better after I started doing that. How big are they now? Mine were about the size of fireball candy when I got them on the 26th of Dec., and now the one left is the size of a golfball. :)
Congrats on your new guys! They poo alot! :D

Yep, definitley mysteries! Their shells could use a little work though. Try grinding up some cuttle bone and sprinkling it in the tank or filter. I know mine looked 100 times better after I started doing that. How big are they now? Mine were about the size of fireball candy when I got them on the 26th of Dec., and now the one left is the size of a golfball. :)
Congrats on your new guys! They poo alot! :D

Yeah their shells could use a little work. Thats how they were given to me. Will the cuttle bone mess with the pH at all? Just curious because I actually have some cuttle bone for my turtle.

I put the cuttle in my tank, and I have never had a change in my pH. The snails eat it, so I don't believe it's in there long enough to change it. :) I assumed they were given to you like that, mine were like that too when I got them. I actually had one who's shell stopped growing, but it didn't. :( And it had this big "V" cut up in front which would never grow in. The cuttle bone does wonders for them though and it doesn't take that long. :) They seem to grow just like fingernails.
I soak the cuttle for about 3 minutes, and then stick it in a bowl and grind the end off with the end of a wooden or plastic spoon. It put about an 1/8 of a tsp in each tank.

I put the cuttle in my tank, and I have never had a change in my pH. The snails eat it, so I don't believe it's in there long enough to change it. :) I assumed they were given to you like that, mine were like that too when I got them. I actually had one who's shell stopped growing, but it didn't. :( And it had this big "V" cut up in front which would never grow in. The cuttle bone does wonders for them though and it doesn't take that long. :) They seem to grow just like fingernails.
I soak the cuttle for about 3 minutes, and then stick it in a bowl and grind the end off with the end of a wooden or plastic spoon. It put about an 1/8 of a tsp in each tank.

So is the cuttle bone in there for them to eat or is it in there to strengthen up their shells? If I grind it up into a powder (which is what I am interpreting here), they are going to have a very tough time eating it

Oh no, grind it up, they will get it, trust me. :) It is like you taking a calcium supplement.

I tried what you said and kind of sprinkled it into the tank on top of them (they were both hanging out at the top water line) and one of them started making his way immediately down the side of the tank towards it and 10 seconds later, the other one literally just dropped off the side of the tank and hit the bottom and started moving towards it. Hopefully it works as you say it does!

Nice! It should! If you look at my thread, "Snail clumps" you will see what mine looks like now, and her shell wasn't that nice when I got her. :)

+1 for cuttlebone.

I use it for our FW ghost shrimp, RCS, crayfish, and our snails. For our brackish water ghost shrimp in the 80g I use the lobster pellets for hermit crabs, it also contains calcium. I use those because our dragon gobys also need calcium and they love pellets.

Back
Top Bottom