Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-03-2014, 11:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

New driftwood

Got some driftwood in my tank!!🙈
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401847591.602426.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	239344

Old 06-04-2014, 05:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

cool i love mopani driftwood

Old 06-12-2014, 02:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

That's beautiful how much is a piece like that I would love to buy one but I don't know where!?!?
Old 06-12-2014, 02:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattandmyoscars View Post
That's beautiful how much is a piece like that I would love to buy one but I don't know where!?!?

I think I got mine at petco for like 5$
Old 06-21-2014, 11:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mopani is a pain. How did you leak out the tannins? I've boiled my piece for 8 hours then I put it in a bucket. I change the buckets water daily. It's been a couple of weeks and my bucket water always turns tea colored.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantnose View Post
Mopani is a pain. How did you leak out the tannins? I've boiled my piece for 8 hours then I put it in a bucket. I change the buckets water daily. It's been a couple of weeks and my bucket water always turns tea colored.
I have three pieces in my tank boiled each for about 6 hrs then put in my tank right after boiling and have never had a problem with the tannins.. i also keep carbon in my filter which seems to help remove the tannins
Old 06-22-2014, 01:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I also use carbon. But carbon doesn't last long and my DW just won't stop leaking tannins.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:31 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantnose View Post
I also use carbon. But carbon doesn't last long and my DW just won't stop leaking tannins.
I think part of it has to do with the size of your aquarium and the amount of wood you have.. and the frequency of which you change your water.. i usually do water changes twice a week and usually only change the carbon about every month and a half and have never had a problem with tannins in my 36 the water is just as clear as coming out of the tap!

However in my 10 g. i had two pieces of mopani a (fairly large amount for the size of the tank) and it released a good bit of tannins for about a 4 or 5 months it's not a problem now at .. however the mopani in the 10 gallon i did not boil and the mopani in my 36 i boiled each for about 6 hrs changing the water for fresh water about every 30 min. so i have to think that with the carbon had a large influence on the amount of tannins that are being released..

I personally don't mind the small amount of tannins that are released i feel the look of real natural wood outweigh the tannins in the water which will decrease over time with frequent water changes.. dosen't hurt to boil it either if you have the means
Old 06-22-2014, 02:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have my piece in a 30g. I boiled it for 8hrs then I put it in the tank it turned my water brown. Then I put the DW in a bucket that I chase the water daily. In the 30g I do daily sometimes every other day 50% water changes.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:49 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

yeah i think some of it is influenced by the color of the wood from my experience the wood with the lighter coloring leaks more tannins.. you boiled it for 8 hrs? and soaked it and it still turned your water brown? did you change the water frequently when boiling.. i changed mine about every 30 min or less.. regardless the tannins are not harmful to the fish.. and with a decent amount of carbon like the amnt for aqua clear not that aqueon cartridge junk it should not discolor it terribly just change the carbon once to twice a month and frequent water changes and over time the tannin release will be minimal in my experience..

Tags
drift, driftwood, wood

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com