New driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mopani is a pain. How did you leak out the tannins? I've boiled my piece for 8 hours then I put it in a bucket. I change the buckets water daily. It's been a couple of weeks and my bucket water always turns tea colored.

Mopani is a pain. How did you leak out the tannins? I've boiled my piece for 8 hours then I put it in a bucket. I change the buckets water daily. It's been a couple of weeks and my bucket water always turns tea colored.

I have three pieces in my tank boiled each for about 6 hrs then put in my tank right after boiling and have never had a problem with the tannins.. i also keep carbon in my filter which seems to help remove the tannins

I also use carbon. But carbon doesn't last long and my DW just won't stop leaking tannins.

I also use carbon. But carbon doesn't last long and my DW just won't stop leaking tannins.

I think part of it has to do with the size of your aquarium and the amount of wood you have.. and the frequency of which you change your water.. i usually do water changes twice a week and usually only change the carbon about every month and a half and have never had a problem with tannins in my 36 the water is just as clear as coming out of the tap!

However in my 10 g. i had two pieces of mopani a (fairly large amount for the size of the tank) and it released a good bit of tannins for about a 4 or 5 months it's not a problem now at .. however the mopani in the 10 gallon i did not boil and the mopani in my 36 i boiled each for about 6 hrs changing the water for fresh water about every 30 min. so i have to think that with the carbon had a large influence on the amount of tannins that are being released..

I personally don't mind the small amount of tannins that are released i feel the look of real natural wood outweigh the tannins in the water which will decrease over time with frequent water changes.. dosen't hurt to boil it either if you have the means

I have my piece in a 30g. I boiled it for 8hrs then I put it in the tank it turned my water brown. Then I put the DW in a bucket that I chase the water daily. In the 30g I do daily sometimes every other day 50% water changes.

yeah i think some of it is influenced by the color of the wood from my experience the wood with the lighter coloring leaks more tannins.. you boiled it for 8 hrs? and soaked it and it still turned your water brown? did you change the water frequently when boiling.. i changed mine about every 30 min or less.. regardless the tannins are not harmful to the fish.. and with a decent amount of carbon like the amnt for aqua clear not that aqueon cartridge junk it should not discolor it terribly just change the carbon once to twice a month and frequent water changes and over time the tannin release will be minimal in my experience..

When I was boiling I changed the water about every hour. I took it out of the 30g and now it's in a bucket that I change the water daily. I've wanted to put this piece in my 55g. But my 55g has crystal clear water.

Yeah i wouldn't say my water is crystal clear! i did a lot of rearranging last night.. but in the picture attached.. if it uploads..(i tried earlier but guess it didn't) the one on the l added last night the large piece in the middle has been in for a couple of months and on the right has been in for a couple of months also

I'm trying to add a picture but it keeps on popping up with a cat lol
EDIT... Finally got the right pic

i had to upload it using the manage attachments button then upload in picture section took a couple of min but finally posted

This site only let's you post a certain amount of pics and then you have to pay for a membership. I use photo bucket.

Yeah, and I would say your tank is crystal clear. Really nice!

thanks i really like it not sure if i'm set on the aquascape yet but still making adjustments.. i would really like it if i i was able to go with live plants but with my schedule just not enough time to experiment with it right now.. but maybe in the future.. for now i'm ok with it! anyways it may be just the pieces i got and the color of them that don't release as much tannins or something but i haven't had much of a problem with them in this tank now my 10 was a whole different story i didn't boil it or let it sit in a bucket and it released tannins for 4-5 mo with frequent water changes.. i think it's partly the incandescent lighting but it still has some.. maybe the coloring of the wood it was a lot lighter initially

Attachments

• IMG_7268.jpg
    IMG_7268.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 104
I've just recently tried at a planted tank. My tank is low tech so my plants grow very slow so I don't have to do any extra work.

Back
Top Bottom