New Photos with New Camera - Nano Cube 12g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian_Nano12g

Aquarium Advice Addict
My GF let me borrow her Canon XSi SLR camera and I was having fun with the settings. I tried various modes, custom white balancing, and exposures. Here are some pics of my JBJ Nano Cube 12 Gallon DX I set up a while back for freshwater. I hope to one day get a larger tank but this 12 gallon will suffice for now. It really has that big tank feel in a small package though, so I'm happy.

Aquarium from a distance:
6194195855_46138ced2b_z.jpg

German Blue Ram (male):
6194713130_346b618a51_z.jpg

Long Fin Red Minor Tetra:
6194713012_09cc843a47_z.jpg

Bumblebee Goby:
6194713030_f48c0a8255_z.jpg

Bumblebee Goby on the glass:
6194195913_f18131a03c.jpg

Glofish - Green (Zebra Danio):
6194713098_951e90730a_z.jpg

And lastly, a Malaysian Trumpet Snail (MTS):
6194713078_78ff94070b_z.jpg

Thanks for checking out my pics! :cool:

Yes indeed. I'm seriously eyeing up a SLR for myself in the near future. I would like to get the Canon T3i because I want to get in to HD video making / editing. But for now, I'll just borrow her camera because my P&S just doesn't compare....LOL

You don't need a good camera to make that tank look amazing ;). I absolutely love the bumblebee goby And the ram. Great photos! And beautiful tank!

Thanks everyone! I think I got a bit of an aquarium addiction now... I started off small but now I'm starting to eye up some 30+ gallon options. Looks like I might be adding a stop on my Black Friday list. :)

That is an amazing little tank. I had a 12 gallon planted acrylic that was actually one of my favorite tanks until it got scratched up in a move and I finally got rid of it.

absolutangel04 said:
LOVE the bumblebee goby. How big is he? He looks so tiny.

I would say he's about 3/4". My GF really wanted one and at first I was reluctant. The little guy turned out to be VERY interesting in his behavior. I thought he would be kinda boring sitting around like an Oto. Maybe it was my impression seeing them for only a bit at the LFS and seeing inactivity. But actually owning one, i get to observe how he really behaves. For example, he's always swimming around and landing on the log, the leaves, and everywhere else in the tank. He tends to land and sit on the tip of leaves as if he's an actual bumblebee or a bird observing the world around him (including his human owners). A joy to have!

I would say he's about 3/4". My GF really wanted one and at first I was reluctant. The little guy turned out to be VERY interesting in his behavior. I thought he would be kinda boring sitting around like an Oto. Maybe it was my impression seeing them for only a bit at the LFS and seeing inactivity. But actually owning one, i get to observe how he really behaves. For example, he's always swimming around and landing on the log, the leaves, and everywhere else in the tank. He tends to land and sit on the tip of leaves as if he's an actual bumblebee or a bird observing the world around him (including his human owners). A joy to have!
Awesome! This is a species I am interested in, but my tank bottom is full of corys, so not space right now. In the future, I would love to get some of these though. I think gobies might be the cutest group of fish ever, and I very consistently hear about their fun antics and personalities.

Are bumblebee gobies brackish? It is cute, I would like one in ny community tank but I thought they were brackish..

Are bumblebee gobies brackish? It is cute, I would like one in ny community tank but I thought they were brackish..

I think for the most part, yes they are. And most would stand firmly by that but instead say that ALL are. But I think that all depends and it's not so black & white, more like a grey area in between. There is still a camp that argues and says that there are two very similarly BB goby species that are distinguishable with the way their yellow & black bands meet in the underbelly (or something like that). Whereas one really needs brackish while the other can be in a lower specific gravity of brackish to fully freshwater (and vice versa). Perhaps one species lives higher up the estuaries in nature while the other is closer to the sea? The most commonly seen BBG Brachygobius doriae is a fully BW fish that needs an SG of around 1.005 to survive and thrive. However Hypogymnogobius xanthozona is a less commonly seen BBG that can live in FW or BW.Telling the difference between the two is not easy. B. doriae has black bands that do not join on the belly giving a gold line along the belly whereas H. xanthozona has full black stripes. From the pic of my BBG on the glass, you can clearly see that it has the joining black bands.

When I bought the little guy from a LFS (a mom and pops joint), they had them in FW and said that he can live and thrive for 75-90% of their natural lifespan in FW but longer in BW. I spoke to a breeder online and he verified my findings. However, this topic would open a whole can of worms because most here will refuse the validity of that statement.

Also, I think keeping BBG in brackish strengthens the fish (even a very low SG would do wonders). Keeping them in FW can be done but it might lower their strength a bit so optimal water conditions would be key to compensate for that. I believe most people fail to keep BBGs successfully not because of salinity issues but because of feeding: their gobies simply starve to death. It's pretty tricky to feed mine because he only eats bloodworms (frozen or live... not freeze dried). He won't even touch the flakes or micro pellets my other fish love to eat. I have to literally make the bloodworms float by his face before he bites for them. Couple that with the fact that they are very slow eaters, you might have problems with other fish who compete for food at the bottom (and who eat faster).

This is my first BB goby, so I'll see how long he lives. So far it's been several months. For the most part, he seems very calm, eats his blood worms (like a good boy) all the time, and swims around a lot. His colors are vibrant and he doesn't exhibit any signs of stress... So in a way I'm testing the theory myself (in a non-scientific approach of course).

Interesting Brian, I can tell you've done your research. My hubby was intrigued by the brackish tank at our Local pet store, they had some sort of puffers in there as well as bb gobies, so I was thinking of getting a small, maybe 10-12 gallon nano brackish tank. I need to research the species first and plan it out before I even think about it.. lol. I am always planning another tank, I have big plans for cichlids in my 55 gallon, but no room to set it up where we live now.. always dreaming of a different tank :D

If you're interested in a brackish species of puffer, I would strongly recommend the Figure 8 puffer over the green spotted puffer simply because the requirements are less demanding. GSP's can tolerate lower specific gravity when they're small but will require an increasingly amount of SG as they get older. I believe I read online that eventually they can be transitioned to full SW as adults. I'm really surprised that some places like Wally World sells those guys as FW! On the other hand, the figure 8 stays smaller, and require very little brackish conditions throughout their life. Plus, you'd be able to keep more of them in a tank. However, in a 10-12g, you'd probably only be able to keep 1. If you want to keep a bunch of puffers in a small tank, you can can go with Indian Dwarf Puffers... They stay small and are full FW.

As for the brackish puffers, I think generally they're kept in a species only setup. However, I've seen them also kept with Mollies and other brackish tolerant fish.

As for dreaming about other tank... TRUST ME I know the feeling. I have my eyes on a few options come Black Friday. Hoping for some good deals on new tanks. I prefer new even though I can save a lot of money buying them second hand.

Thanks for the info! I've learned to thoroughly research any species I might consider before purchasing them and its always paid off.

Thanks for the info! I've learned to thoroughly research any species I might consider before purchasing them and its always paid off.
+1 to that! I researched my butt off before setting up my tanks and I really like having conversations with other people who did the same.
To the OP, it definitely sounds like you did a lot of rearch into the BBG. I have run across similar arguments about fw versus brackish with these guys. I hope it works out well for you. It sounds like your little guy is happy. :)

Back
Top Bottom