New Red Bristlenose Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GIZMOSPAZZ

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey Everyone,

My boyfriend and I just added a new fish to our 55g tank. That's right, as the title says, a red bristlenose pleco. He's very sneaky. When we got home from work today, it took us almost an hour to find him. He was in the smallest nook in the driftwood. Very stealthy. We haven't named him yet, but he decided to come out for a photo shoot a little while ago. From what I've found, reds are somewhat rare in the species. Without further ado, here he is...

ForumRunner_20131101_032232.jpg

ForumRunner_20131101_032247.jpg

ForumRunner_20131101_032301.jpg

I have 3 of these guys! They are definitely sneaky, I only ever see 1 at a time if i'm lucky to see any at all. But the gorgeous color on them makes up for it! And yes, they are still fairly rare at this point because they are a newer color morph. You can find them online pretty easily, but most people don't like to spend that kind of money on plecos.

Congrats on the new buy!

Thank you everyone! We think he is absolutely stunning. As soon as we saw him in the tank at the lfs, we knew we were bringing him home.

Any reason why he looks like he is clamping his fins?

Any reason why he looks like he is clamping his fins?

I'm not sure. Maybe it was because he was just added to the tank a few hours before these pictures were taken?

The water parameters look good. Ammonia: 0 Nitrites: 0 Nitrates: 5

We've never owned a pleco. We just researched a lot before we decided on getting a bristlenose. So any help as to why you think he would be clamping is welcomed.

He doesn't seem to be doing it now, but we will definitely keep an eye on him.

so beautiful! I absolutely love bristlenose plecos, but I've never seen this color before: it's quite remarkable.

Wow that is beautiful! I think it's a female because I've read that females have their bristles on the end of their noses. Just a thought :)

Thanks everybody!

Our pleco is male. He's still quite young, but his bristles are already very pronounced. He's so small, sometimes it's almost impossible to find him in our 55g with our large piece of driftwood. He finds all the nooks that we never even noticed! One thing that has surprised us is how quick he can be. He just wiggles his little body and zooms across the tank.

Back
Top Bottom