!!!new tiger fish!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdpuffer

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I've been anxiously awaiting my new tiger fish and after a little hiccup I got it home. I had a tank on order for that was suppossed to be in this week which wasn't, apparently the order hadn't even been placed. So I got a used 44g with stand and everything from the LFS, cleaned and set it up and have the fish floating currently. I just gut loaded his minnow food so with luck once I release him I'll post a vid of the mayhem should he choose to eat. I posted a pic of him in the bag cause I will likely not get a chance for a close up of his teeth. This fish is about 4" long and you can make out those chompers.

Pretty cool little baby,,but don't those guys get ginormous..like a couple feet or more...??

I have the vittatus which maxes out at about 30 inches. It will require upgrading, all part of my master plan to satisfy my multiple tank syndrome.

Will likely be a minimum 300 gallon, they get fairly large. Thanks for all the compliments everyone.

Oh, that's it? I would have expected bigger. I have no experience whatsoever though. Is he going to be by himself, or with a tank mate?

I think he is super neat. Sorry if I'm bugging you with questions.

No worries at all, once full grown it will require a huge tank. At that point I will likely donate it to an aquarium or get a huge tank. It will be kept by itself until I get a bigger tank at which point I am thinking of adding a sturgeon and perhaps a sting ray. Here are a couple pictures, couldn't get a video of it feeding but I'll fast it over night and try again tomorrow. He has eaten a couple minnows but due to stress with the new home he took his time.

Oh, he is beyond neat. Glad to hear he ate some. Are you going to keep the tank bare like that? Or add some things?

Oh, and is this a fish you can condition to be alright with you in the tank? Or will he always attempt to bite?

Aquarium donations are difficult, from what I've heard. They normally have no space whatsoever. Hopefully you can find one that will take him in, if you chose that route!

I'm hoping for the bigger tank, I may get a custom built one to maximize end to end swimming. It is a very neat fish, I've been trying convince the wife to let me get it for months. I will probably throw in a fake plant or two but these are active swimmers and from the research I've done are prone to crashing into things so I'll be keeping it very simple. I'm gonna try one more minnow and see if he goes for it, fingers crossed. He has adapted well to the new surroundings and doesn't show any fear so far so good.

Well I got a video of "the flash" eating. The kids picked the name, very applicable as he doesn't sit still and with a flick of his tail he is at the other end of the tank. Unfortunately my iPhone messed up and didn't record grrrrrr. I promise I will have a video up ASAP.

Yes it sure does, the video I took last night that my camera fudged up on was even better, he bit the minnow in half it was pretty cool.

Ya I was still half asleep, I have it setup right beside my tv and it kept distracting me chasing minnows.

Back
Top Bottom