New to the fishtank world, thought i shared my tank, any tips would be awesome.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dylanh

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is my 36 gallon bow front tank, recently swicthed from gravel to sand, heard it was a little better for plants, having a little problem with the P.H, currently mostly because i think my tap water is high in P.H? also seeing one or two fish almost laying on the bottom of tank.. thinking it most likely cause of that. i was also trying to grow dwarf tears. but failed miserably. haha

Attachments

• fishy.jpg
    fishy.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 289
  • fish2.jpg
    fish2.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 263
Nice tank! But fish laying on the bottom is not a good thing :( what exactly is your pH? Most fish won't be harmed by high or low pH, it's consistency that's the important thing. My tap water has a pH of 9 and I have successfully kept supposedly soft water fish for years. So unless your pH has changed dramatically recently, that's probably not the problem.
How long has your tank been running?

Any tips would be awesome! Here are 2 for you.

Sit down with a book, one that covers water science, learn that, then you can do anything with fish. It has saved my life loads of times.

If you are bright it's easy, I'm stupid so it took me ages, I had to learn on the fly with sick fish, that's no fun at all.

My second tip, keep a diary, stock added, tank maintenance, what you did, results of tests etc. this will prove invaluable at some stage.

Have fun, keep us updated.

What is your stock? What are your test results?

Looking at your tank, You appear to have 2 male paradise fish in with 2 or 3 3 spot gouramis. You should stick to just the 3 spots, and only keep a pair of them, not 3 of them. To tell male and female with 3 spots- look for a longer dorsal fin, that is male. Keep 1 male 1 female. Take the paradise fish back to the store. Having 2 types of gourami in the same tank like that won't end well.

By the way, did you cycle this tank before adding fish? That might be why fish are laying on the bottom. What is the pH of your water coming out of your tap? Get a test kit (liquid, not strips) if you don't already have one. Master kit. pH/kH/gH/NH3/4/No2/No3

The ph is probably high because of the sand. Most sand is a natural buffer that can raise your ph to 8+ I keep African cichlids and I'm switching to sand for that reason. Was it high when you had the gravel?

Back
Top Bottom