Nigel's Forest scape 128L

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nigel95

Aquarium Advice Regular
Got bored of my Iwagumi and wanted to do something with spiderwood. Decided to make my own forest.

Specs planted tank aquarium
Tank
80x40x40 cm / 31x15x15" opticwhite 8mm
34 gallon / 128 litre

Lighting
Chihiros rgb 60

Hardscape
Lava rock
Spiderwood

Substrate
ADA Aqua Soil

Shrimp
50+ Red cherry shrimp

Fish

20 green neon tetra

Snails
10 Clithon sp.

Plants
hydrocotyle tripartita
cryptocoryne parva
fissidens fontanus
fissidens mini
solenostoma tetragonum
Bucephalandra (soon before flooding)

Co2
Pressurized CO2 with a diffusor
Co2 checker edge (20 ppm)

Heater
Hydor eth 200 temperature 25 celcius

Filter
Eheim experience 350 (2426) with stainless steel lily pipes

Background
Frosted glass spray

Day 1 Hardscape & DSM
Forest Aquascape - Nature aquarium - Day 1 DSM - YouTube

Day 36
Nature Aquarium - Forest Aquarium - Day 36 - YouTube

Day 60
forest scape 128l day 60 p3 by Nigel H, on Flickr

Day 75
Forest Aquarium Aquascape - Day 75 - YouTube

Day 95
More details
day 95 forest aquascape by nigel aquascaping by Nigel H, on Flickr

Day 115
Aquascape Nature Aquarium - Aquascaping - Forest Day 115 - YouTube

You killed it man! That's one of the better tanks I've probably ever seen. Excellent

Very creative. Extremely beautiful setup.:)

Thank you for sharing. That is truly a work of art. I'm sure you have countless hours into it.

Thanks again, good to hear you like the scape.

The hardscape was pretty well prepared but still a few things that could be better. I guess that will always be the case..

You are your own worst critic. Outstanding job.
What back lighting, if any, are you using?
This scape rivals many I’ve seen at the IAPLC.

Very nice. The floor of the forest is amazing. If anything the canopy needs something perhaps a floating plant for the illusion of an upper canopy. But not to thick. Get a nice dappled light through it.

You are your own worst critic. Outstanding job.
What back lighting, if any, are you using?
This scape rivals many I’ve seen at the IAPLC.

thnx!

To create this effect I have my lighting unit 15 cm above water line. For pictures / videos I turn it even higher (30 cm) to get this full background effect. The tank has frosted background which lets light through it.

Next year 2018 I will participate in contests like IAPLC. First time I will enter. Would be really happy to achieve top 500.

Don't forget about the reflections in the sides and top of the water. At a conference I was at they mentioned that being a possible defining detail between one tank vs. another for the win/higher ranking.

Don't forget about the reflections in the sides and top of the water. At a conference I was at they mentioned that being a possible defining detail between one tank vs. another for the win/higher ranking.

Yup that is one thing that I would change if I could do the scape over. Build the left and right full of hardscape to avoid reflections on side. When taking the final photo I will use a fan/hairdryer to get the surface ripple at the top of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom