Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-10-2004, 01:03 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus
I'm pretty solid on the ID as Schistura mahnerti. I've got three of the little gems now...plus one unidentified Schistura that looks a lot like S. beavani but he's really too small for a positive ID. My first S. mahnerti didn't have any red in its tail when I bought it but it has appeared as the fish matured and is now VERY obvious. I initially identified him as Schistura subfusca but he doesn't have as much red as that species. Check these links:

None of my fish seem to have the characteristic 'reflective patch' at the base of the dorsal fin that is mentioned in the species description of S. poculi at loaches.com.

I really like all of my Schistura loaches. My original loach was VERY territorial and, as far as it was concerned, the territory was wherever it happened to be at the time. It chased my Yo-Yo loaches, my Tiger Barbs, and my Blue Gouramis fairly often but it has mellowed toward all of them over time. They're all still pretty wary of him, however, and move aside whenever he swims by. He's being pretty aggressive toward the two newcomer Schistura but they've already learned to stay away from him when he's got his dander up!

Aquarist since 1964
Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 01:13 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
Alright then, I'll go with mahnerti

Enki is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com