Old codger learns new tricks!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fruitbat

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK....this Jurassic old coot finally broke down and bought a digital camera. I've got a few shots in my gallery now...and I'd love to hear some constructive criticism!!

I call shenanigans! Your pics are perfect. I hope you took 100's of shots before getting those :p Dangit, I still suck at taking shots of fast moving fish.

Nice :D

Tis about time Batty LOL Great pics!

So what did you get? And what settings are you using?? Spill!

Sati....I hate to say it but those were the first pictures I took with the camera. :roll: I hope to improve things as I get a bit more experience with this little digital marvel.

Allivymar....being as I bought the camera Sunday evening and took those pictures about 20 minutes after I got it home...I didn't do anything fancy. The camera is a Fuji S3000 3.2Mpixel device. I used auto settings and auto flash with the macro and zoom features. I'll play around with some of the manual settings when I have time.

It is hard to beleive those are the first pics taken with your new camera. They look great. What brand camera do you have?

trenac...

As posted above, the camera is a FujiFilm FinePix S3000 that I bought for about $260.00. It is a 3.2 MegaPixel camera. So far I've been VERY impressed with it (and I've had it a whole 2 days!!! :lol: ).

WOW!!! I think that I need to upgrade cameras if that is the product of the first few shots erver taken with it!! The pics ARE perfect!

Oh....by the way....those shots were taken at the 1 Megapixel setting. I haven't tried the 3 Megapixel setting yet. Could be interesting!

Nice pics!

How sure are you on the ID of your shistura? The best photo match I could find to the two I recently acquired was Schistura poculi. Your guy looks dead on to my two though! How do you like him?

I'm pretty solid on the ID as Schistura mahnerti. I've got three of the little gems now...plus one unidentified Schistura that looks a lot like S. beavani but he's really too small for a positive ID. My first S. mahnerti didn't have any red in its tail when I bought it but it has appeared as the fish matured and is now VERY obvious. I initially identified him as Schistura subfusca but he doesn't have as much red as that species. Check these links:

http://www.loaches.com/species_pages/schistura_mahnerti.html
http://www.loaches.com/species_pages/schistura_subfusca.html
http://www.loaches.com/species_pages/schistura_poculi.html

None of my fish seem to have the characteristic 'reflective patch' at the base of the dorsal fin that is mentioned in the species description of S. poculi at loaches.com.

I really like all of my Schistura loaches. My original loach was VERY territorial and, as far as it was concerned, the territory was wherever it happened to be at the time. It chased my Yo-Yo loaches, my Tiger Barbs, and my Blue Gouramis fairly often but it has mellowed toward all of them over time. They're all still pretty wary of him, however, and move aside whenever he swims by. He's being pretty aggressive toward the two newcomer Schistura but they've already learned to stay away from him when he's got his dander up!

Back
Top Bottom