Oscars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You did a good job man! You can buy fish wherever you'd like! Far as I'm concerned...

moral of the story.. it's always nice to support small business and local business. If this is not feasible than making the best of the mediocre<worst is the best! Results are just that and the best are the best, no denying

It’s all good... how do you know how many they kill... and how do Know know some dedicated shops don’t kill as many comparing-ratio to ratio. I know there is a “Walmart is the devil” faction out there. Fine. It’s a free country. I’ve bred Ciclids of all types and always dreamed of running my own aquarium shop. But 26 years in USMC was my path until retirement. If I could raise the capital I might give it a try.

Yes we’ll agree to disagree. Profits motivate both the big and the small business. My thoughts about how I think the shop owner “feels” about the fish has no bearing. I have a tank full of beautiful fish because I care enough to choose wisely. I won’t stress my purchases driving “110 miles” when I can drive 12. I won’t pay $15 when I can pay $4 for the same thing. I was able to talk to the Walmart manager and give him tips about his fish. He listened and was receptive to what I had to say, thanking me for the information, promising to educate his staff. Seems they weren’t the devil after all they were just uneducated.

First of all, thank you for your service. Secondly, I have no doubts that you know what you're doing and can select quality fish. I have to admit that I did paint with a broad brush and I apologize for that, but I never said anything bad about the walmart employees, just the company. There are probably locations that have knowledgeable staff, but it just seems as though with the company there is little to no training which results in tons of fish suffering. That's great that you were able to teach the manager at the one store a few things. I suppose it would be better to teach them, but I just avoid going near the pet section. Where I live now I'm fortune enough to have a couple really great fish stores near me. One of which is only about a 10 min. drive from my house.

I don't appreciate you implying that I if I drive "110 miles" to get fish that I'm excessively stressing them. Fish get shipped all the time, and travel well over 110 miles. Where do you think your walmart fish come from? Unless they're raised from a local breeder, they get shipped hundreds if not thousands of miles. I just got some rams last week that came from a breeder in California 2000 miles away. They were warm when I got them, and within a day or two they were colored up great and looked as if they were at home. I'm sure the journey wasn't too fun, but like I said, almost all fish in our hobby get shipped.

Small Fry
You are a very compassionate person and have made some good points. Let's put this thread behind us and move on to the next. I think we are all essentially on the same side.

As long as those Oscars get a one hot dog on the fourth and an oreo for haloween.. same page!!

First of all, thank you for your service. Secondly, I have no doubts that you know what you're doing and can select quality fish. I have to admit that I did paint with a broad brush and I apologize for that, but I never said anything bad about the walmart employees, just the company. There are probably locations that have knowledgeable staff, but it just seems as though with the company there is little to no training which results in tons of fish suffering. That's great that you were able to teach the manager at the one store a few things. I suppose it would be better to teach them, but I just avoid going near the pet section. Where I live now I'm fortune enough to have a couple really great fish stores near me. One of which is only about a 10 min. drive from my house.

I don't appreciate you implying that I if I drive "110 miles" to get fish that I'm excessively stressing them. Fish get shipped all the time, and travel well over 110 miles. Where do you think your walmart fish come from? Unless they're raised from a local breeder, they get shipped hundreds if not thousands of miles. I just got some rams last week that came from a breeder in California 2000 miles away. They were warm when I got them, and within a day or two they were colored up great and looked as if they were at home. I'm sure the journey wasn't too fun, but like I said, almost all fish in our hobby get shipped.

Whoa! I never said you stressed your purchases. I said I wouldn’t drive that far and risk it, big difference. I know my limitations not yours.
I can’t speak to your SOP only mine.

Yes, fish are shipped long distances but definitely not in single bags knotted at the top! A trip in the shippers containers is usually heat controlled a bit better and in larger containers until they go out for local delivery. Nowadays you can even order fish from country of origin at a hefty price.

I keep chickens (for eggs) and order biddies time to time. One breeder in Texas of a particular breed sends them overnight. It has to be, freshly hatched chicks are highly susceptible to cold. They only can only live off the internal yolk mommy supplied for a day before needing chick grit and water or starve. Few months ago we ordered 12 chicks. the breeder used UPS Overnight instead of Fed-X....in our area UPS hands off to USPS who were a day late and doesn’t use heated trucks, they all were dead. The breeder was upset and swears she’ll only use Fed-X like before.

In dealing with live animals there can always be tragic incidents but we can minimize most. As I watch these African Ciclids darting around healthy and colorful it’s even hard for me to believe they came from Walmart. I considered it a rescue instead of a normal purchase. Growing up in Florida I wish I had access to the great aquarium shops there but sometimes you have to work the hand you’re dealt.

Whoa! I never said you stressed your purchases. I said I wouldn’t drive that far and risk it, big difference. I know my limitations not yours.
I can’t speak to your SOP only mine.

Yes, fish are shipped long distances but definitely not in single bags knotted at the top! A trip in the shippers containers is usually heat controlled a bit better and in larger containers until they go out for local delivery. Nowadays you can even order fish from country of origin at a hefty price.

I keep chickens (for eggs) and order biddies time to time. One breeder in Texas of a particular breed sends them overnight. It has to be, freshly hatched chicks are highly susceptible to cold. They only can only live off the internal yolk mommy supplied for a day before needing chick grit and water or starve. Few months ago we ordered 12 chicks. the breeder used UPS Overnight instead of Fed-X....in our area UPS hands off to USPS who were a day late and doesn’t use heated trucks, they all were dead. The breeder was upset and swears she’ll only use Fed-X like before.

In dealing with live animals there can always be tragic incidents but we can minimize most. As I watch these African Ciclids darting around healthy and colorful it’s even hard for me to believe they came from Walmart. I considered it a rescue instead of a normal purchase. Growing up in Florida I wish I had access to the great aquarium shops there but sometimes you have to work the hand you’re dealt.
I've seen numerous shipments received at my lfs. They're crammed into knotted bags. Not pretty most of the time... like 5 goldfish in a quart bag not pretty..

I've seen numerous shipments received at my lfs. They're crammed into knotted bags. Not pretty most of the time... like 5 goldfish in a quart bag not pretty..

There’s a lot of ignorant people out there that don’t consider what they do to God’s living creatures they are stewards of. But as hobbyist we try to educate but many times it falls on deaf ears. Being a retired infantryman 26 yrs I’ve seen intense cruelty to animals especially in Muslim and Asian countries. I won’t go into detail. Oh, seems I bought out the last African Ciclids our Walmart plans to carry. The Manager who I’ve grow to know said corporate won’t be carrying them going forward in favor of “glow” fish. Seems they are some kind of fad fish making the rounds. Don’t know much about them. IMG_2195.jpgIMG_2209.jpg

Yah.. lot of things out of our control.. I know what's in my control and what's realistic and reasonable. Can't fix the world, can't fix much actually.. happy thanksgiving speaking of cruelty to animals;) I treat my bird with respect and honor!!

Yah.. lot of things out of our control.. I know what's in my control and what's realistic and reasonable. Can't fix the world, can't fix much actually.. happy thanksgiving speaking of cruelty to animals;) I treat my bird with respect and honor!!

I have no doubt of you my friend. Happy Thanksgiving yourself! And keep ‘em swimming!

J
Too bad you don't live closer. I just rehomed several adult Africans and traded in a lot more at my favorite mom and pop LFS. Had unnecessarily used them as dither fish in my aggressive New World tank. Many of those fish came from Petsmart. Got $50 credit for the trade. Got 3 "Rapps" Green Texas Escondido type cichlids in exchange. The owner marked some of my box store beauties at $40 a piece.
I kept two Africans, a 4" male Yellow Lab, and a 6" male Dragon Blood Peacock. They are fierce little guys and can easily hold their own against their Red and Green Terror tankmates. They are sort of like light weight boxers against heavy weights. Punch and run, too quick to be caught. Generally speaking, IMO New Worlds and Africans not a good mix.
Bought another Red Texas Cichlid male Juvenile from Petsmart. It's quite a fish. Paid $29. A local breeder wanted $90 For his.
I spoke to the manager at my town Wal Mart. He indicated that he could custom order anything. Maybe yours can do the same. Regarding Glofish. Geneticly engineered Black Skirt Tetras, Tiger Barbs, and Zebra fish. Fluorescent colors. Not for me.
Have a good Thanksgiving guys.

J

Too bad you don't live closer. I just rehomed several adult Africans and traded in a lot more at my favorite mom and pop LFS. Had unnecessarily used them as dither fish in my aggressive New World tank. Many of those fish came from Petsmart. Got $50 credit for the trade. Got 3 "Rapps" Green Texas Escondido type cichlids in exchange. The owner marked some of my box store beauties at $40 a piece.

I kept two Africans, a 4" male Yellow Lab, and a 6" male Dragon Blood Peacock. They are fierce little guys and can easily hold their own against their Red and Green Terror tankmates. They are sort of like light weight boxers against heavy weights. Punch and run, too quick to be caught. Generally speaking, IMO New Worlds and Africans not a good mix.

Bought another Red Texas Cichlid male Juvenile from Petsmart. It's quite a fish. Paid $29. A local breeder wanted $90 For his.

I spoke to the manager at my town Wal Mart. He indicated that he could custom order anything. Maybe yours can do the same. Regarding Glofish. Geneticly engineered Black Skirt Tetras, Tiger Barbs, and Zebra fish. Fluorescent colors. Not for me.

Have a good Thanksgiving guys.

Cool! Sounds like your display is lively! Thank for the info on glow fish...seems they need special food as well... I’ll take natural colors myself. Might be nice as for a novelty tank setup. I’m getting my wife a tank, she fell in love with mine. Told I’d help but all decisions on decor are hers. Think she is leaning toward Tiger Oscars...stay tuned I’ll be posting pics of hers. Have posted pics of your Terrors I’d like to see them.

Once she sees pics of my Terrors she just might forget about Oscars. Check out my threads:
-Red Terror Cichlid, two variants
-V227's Bad girl RT Festae
-My best fish, Andinoacara RIvulatus, False Green Terror

If you can get past my boring narration, there are some pretty good pics.

Once she sees pics of my Terrors she just might forget about Oscars. Check out my threads:

Will do she’s considering a Texas Red Ciclid but will look at your threads at first chance. So many Ciclids so little time...lol

I really like the Red Texas Cichlid. I bought two juveniles from petsmart. One is an unfaded female? the other is a possible fader male? They are very expensive, even at Petsmart. Mine were over $20 a piece. A local breeder sells his Reds starting at $90 For juveniles.
They are tough little fish.
Might also look at Green Texas Cichlids "Escondido type". I have three of those. All juveniles.

Thanks for the narratives though I’ve been in the hobby a while my thinking is I haven’t arrived and I learn for all input. I enjoy reading yours, I learn from your experiences...years ago there wasn’t near the varieties we have today... I’ve bred Egyptian mouth breeders and others more by accident than design. I like buying juveniles and growing with them.. my beloved Red Oscar was with me just short of 13 years until hole-in-the-head took him. My wife is very interested in your Terrors and is considering buying one or two.

Back
Top Bottom