philippines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enjoyfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got back from the ph , after 2 1/2 weeks . Had a great time . Cant wait to go back . The coral reefs there are breath taking . I had a under water camera but just couldnt get the hang of it . maybe next time ,the fish are so fast . most of them didnt even come out . I got 6 pounds of live rock back and some small corals . But they took my 2 clams in customs almost got in big trouble .

I got 6 pounds of live rock back and some small corals

Wow, I am supprised you even got back with that.

Dont cut yourself short on your underwater photos. I am sure its hard to take pics while your being moved around with the current. At least I know we got moved all over when we was snorkling last.

Thats really cool, I wondered if you could bring home coral and fish, guess you kind of can't

The laws are different for each state and each country. I know in the bahamas if your caught even pulling something that is consitered alive out of the ocean its a potental $500 fine.

Well, I say that, but since I dont have a tank to put them in, I dont think I am in the correct shoes to do so.

Most of the time if there are laws like that, they are there for a reason.

Infact where I live fishing Lobster is a way of life for most,
if you don't have a licence there is a heafty fine. if you pull some out of the water.
100,000. bucks I think is the minimum. I would rather buy it for 5 bucks a pound than 100,000.
they really keep a close eye on us divers here lol. they'll take your house and everything you own if caught poaching.

Chris.

Man, I should have know PETA was going to tear me up on this site (just kidding with you guys)

I should tell you , The live rock i brought back is a special kind of rock i forget what they call it . but it needed to be cured (is curing) . maybe thats why they didnt say something and the corals were in the babys cooler witch they didnt look . plus the customs agent was filipina so maybe she just didnt look to hard . As for the clams witch i may add they new right were they were. I only got a warning but was told up to 50,000 and 2 years in jail first time . my name is now in the customs computer ,so if i try that again who knows . Playing stupid may not always work . :? But i was told that getting permits from your local state fish & wildlife dept is all you need . Not to hard to get, States may very $15 to $100 . You also need to to claim them at the country of origin .

Was this at O'Hare Customs in Chicago? I'll be going to PH in May. I doubt that I will bring back live items back to the states, its too risky. Reef pics and car parts will be another story :D

No, it's not my first time. I was born there came here in 85. I'm there for a wedding this time around. Will be mostly on the island of Bacolod. Planning on scuba diving/snorkeling in Boracay. Just saw the night life on E! Wild ON and I'm anxious to go. :D

Back
Top Bottom