Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-22-2011, 12:05 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to abrahamavelar Send a message via Yahoo to abrahamavelar
or u could use the multi burst too for the fast movers

Old 12-22-2011, 10:10 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

The real key is getting enough shutter speed to stop the action for a sharp picture. This usually is acheived by high ISO, larger aperture (2.8 - 4.0) or get enough light.

If you have a bright aquarium that helps a lot. Shoot at night and dim all of the other lights around you to minimize reflections.

My tank is rather dim so I'm starting to place a flash in the top of my aquarium and point it up so it reflects back into the tank. I use a remote trigger to set off the flash (on my canon 5d mark II) that way no flash is coming directly from my camera. So far it's working pretty well. I can shoot at f8/ ISO 1250 and 1/100sec (manual mode).
I'm still perfecting my lighting system. During the day you could see thru my tank into the living room. At night it's a cooler perspective.

Here's my Gold Gourami (avatar) shot with this method;

Old 12-22-2011, 11:22 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is a great picture! Thanks everyone.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:20 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardynas View Post
The real key is getting enough shutter speed to stop the action for a sharp picture. This usually is acheived by high ISO, larger aperture (2.8 - 4.0) or get enough light.

If you have a bright aquarium that helps a lot. Shoot at night and dim all of the other lights around you to minimize reflections.

My tank is rather dim so I'm starting to place a flash in the top of my aquarium and point it up so it reflects back into the tank. I use a remote trigger to set off the flash (on my canon 5d mark II) that way no flash is coming directly from my camera. So far it's working pretty well. I can shoot at f8/ ISO 1250 and 1/100sec (manual mode).
I'm still perfecting my lighting system. During the day you could see thru my tank into the living room. At night it's a cooler perspective.

I have a 580 ex and remote triggers. How are you placing your flash? I don't understand what you mean by " place a flash in the top of my aquarium and point it up so it reflects back into the tank" Thanks
Old 12-23-2011, 12:35 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

My tank is built in and my lights are about 25 inches above the water. Tank is in center of living room and housing goes up to ceiling.

I just set my flash right on the plastic cover and point it up (a few inches above the water). They reflect off the reflector and back down into the water. I also use a diffuser to scatter the light more. The way you setup your flash will be different since your tank is different. Experiment and try different locations till the light starts looking right.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:39 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardynas

Perfect I like your photo. I shoot with a 30D. Your lighting looks good.

Tags
oto, photo

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com