Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-12-2010, 09:25 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Regular

New PROBLEM my squeaker cat has some white spots this is ick right? i have this bottle of "ick away" it says it could do some damage to some "catfish" would this be harmed? or the corys? should i follow directions to exactly? let me know please... it says remove carbon from filtration do i have carbon? or is it charcoal? it also says it can dye silicone will my tank corners be blue after this **** thing?

King_Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:50 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

You need to learn about the life cycle of ich. Read the articale below for learning about ich and what it is.
Freshwater Ich? Yuck!
I have found and many people would support this is that raising the temp. to around 86 degrees helps. The parasite can not live in such warm water long. The other thing is alot of people add salt to the aquarium, which seems to help. Don't be suprised if it is gone tommorrow but don't be fooled. That just means that the parasite fell of the fish and went into its freeswimming stage, this is when it starts to be affected by high temps and salt. I would ditch the meds, they work but usually not very well or not at all. Yes some will dye the silicone which you don't want. And if it says there is a chance that it can harm some catfish i would not use it. It is probably talkin about scaleless fish like your synodonis catfish. And if you were to use it you would have to take the carbon out of your filter. Do you have carbon? i dont know what kind of filter do you have?

This is why most people QT. So it does not spread to the main tank, but don't beat yourself up. Alot of people don't for there FW fish.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:53 PM   #33
AA Team Emeritus

I would take a look a some pictures of syno's on Google. Many adult synos have white spots that can look like ich. Someone just posted about this and said they seem to come and go. I think Blueiz was one of the people who experienced this, maybe she can chime in. I had one but gave it up when it was about 4".
Old 01-12-2010, 11:46 PM   #34
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

read through this thread... i think its the one meegosh is referring to. there are a couple links that show what appears to be ich, though its actually the way the fish is...

featherfin still has white spots - what to do?

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:26 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

I did not know that. I have not had a syno in a while. When my 75g tank is set up i am getting a couple synodonis. don't know what species yet.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:12 AM   #36
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
read through this thread... i think its the one meegosh is referring to.
featherfin still has white spots - what to do?
Yup, that was the one. Sorry, it was late when I posted and I was on my phone so I was a bit lazy and didn't search for it.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:50 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Regular

ok maybe its not ich those pics seem a little different mine has a small white spot towards his tail... and hes still moving and acting normal doewnt seem sick.. ill just keep an eye on him i guess.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:19 PM   #38
AA Team Emeritus

Yeah, keep an eye on him. If you notice more spots around the tail and they look like salt has been sprinkled all over him then I would say to start raising your temps (SLOWLY) to 86 degrees and keep it there for at least a week after the last white spots are gone.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:32 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Regular

yeah it went away the day i noticed or the day after... thanks guys.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:33 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Corral View Post
yeah it went away the day i noticed or the day after... thanks guys.
That is not good. If it went away that is the life cycle of ich. The parasites latch onto the fish, then drop off at the end of the day and go into the free swimming stage. Then the process starts over, because when they drop off, each 1 makes a ton more. So you REALLY need to watch closely on all the fish. If more spots pop up on other fish or on the syno then you need to start treatment.

Tags
55 gallon, hex, hex tank, pics, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com