Pics/Ideas Hex Tank 55gal 27x22x22

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

King_Corral

Aquarium Advice Regular
if you have a hex tank or ideas i need some help im wanting a FW Tank. But wouldnt mind see other set up pics. LMK your set up from fish to accessories and all.. close to 55gal is best but pics are good also.
55Gal
dr5kas.jpg

Fish I have unsure of what kind it is though :p...
2h6aqtl.jpg

...he is more active at night and his has some whiskers he seems to eat the algae or whatever may be on the plastic ornaments hes cool looking none the less

Hi there!! I see you're going for FW but I have a 21L Hexy, which is a 5 Gallon tank! It's saltwater though.
Here's some pics, not sure if they'll help at all :)

well it didnt help all that much but it is fun to look at =].
Wish i could own a SW tank im gonna try and post my tank right now but might look bad cause cell phone picture =[...
no one has hex tanks? or ideas? im thinking of getting a eel of some sort or lobster any comments??
where can i buy rocks like that pingu? or something similar for a FW set up? i like the look of those and rather have one of them than the plastic set up and what not.

anyone know the name or type of fish i pictured? hes has whiskers black woth spots active at night i just want to make sure he is healthy and be sure not to worry about him cause i feel a bit worried.

i cant see them because they are so small... could you possibly get any more pictures? if its got whiskers, its probably some sort of catfish...

i might be able to get bigger/better pictures but it could take a few days.. he has those type of whiskers than another set but they arent just pointy and straight... they look like thorns.

hmmm... i know this sounds lame, but google freshwater aquarium catfish and see if any of the results under google images pops up with something like what you have... ive done this several times when i started out and got free fish off craigslist with no knowledge on what they were (learned my lesson on that one)... if that doesnt work, pictures will help us id them

alright thanks ill let you know if i find what i think it is and ill post pics too.

hes not a cat fish or at least from the ones i have seen so doesnt seem to be one... i fixed my comp and ill get some pics of him tomorrow...
another question though...
my betta lets me touch it... like i could probably pick him up out the water by hand. is that bad? i dont really see him eat. ive got some flakes and shrimp pellets...
i got the tank free from someone who really didnt take care of them the tank was like green couldnt even see what he had in there beside maybe the gold fish. i just want to keep them all alive and i keep learning more and more about tanks each day...

I would not try to pick him up out of the water. He is a fish, not a lizard :silly:. He looks like a synodonis. I am guessing a feather synadontis. Great cool looking fish. Good clean up crews. It is not uncommon for them to sleep/hide all day do to the fact they are nocturnal. That is also probably the reason why you never see him eat. 1 way to feed him is put some food in at night when the lights are off. And sorry to burst your bubble but you will probably not be able to find a "EEL" that does not get under 3 feet. They are out there but they are difficult to find, even when buying online sometimes. You couls get a peacock eel and you would be fine but that falls under what i just said. You could do kuhli loahes but they are not a eel they are a loach, even though they have a snake apperance.

i never pulled him out but i could hold him which i thought was weird... if i crunch up some flakes and throw them in there lights off... i still wouldnt see him eat =]. but would i overfeed?

Maybe, try to get some sinking catfish pellets, they work much better. Just throught a few in there, he will get them, they always do. Did you look up a featherfin syno online, or atleast just a syno to find out if that was what he is?

Maybe, try to get some sinking catfish pellets, they work much better. Just throught a few in there, he will get them, they always do. Did you look up a featherfin syno online, or atleast just a syno to find out if that was what he is?
i dont know what that is...
:n00b:
cat fish pellets for my betta? or the unknown cat fish somewhat look a like? any advice on the "plants"

Google synodontis eupterus ... if that is the fish you have, be careful when picking him up. You shouldn't need to but if you do his "featherfin" is actually more like a razorfin. It is extremely sharp so watch your hands! Also, they also call them the squeaker catfish because they squeak when you have them out of water. Oh and they can grow over a foot long.

Not to be the bearer of bad news but I think your tank is overstocked. Even with the just the goldfish you have I would say its overstocked. They are notoriously messy fish.

Last edited:
that is it actually... i read 8 inch max... yeah i dont really want most of these fish and im probably gonna give them to some girls i know and my brother might take some even though he has dempseys :evil:

lol, yay i guessed right. I thought i recognized it from that tiny pic. I love synos, just so cool looking. As long as your brother has a sufficent size tank the synodonis should be able to be with them. If you shipped i would take him.

Abou the overstock i agree. You have a way overstocked tank. 7 fish that are a high bio-load (all goldfish). Goldfish are hi-bioload fish and IMO you have to many goldfish in that tank, especially if the bettas and stuff are with them. If you could rehome them or trade them in to someone that would be the way to go. Start calling around to fish shops in your area to see if they will take them. If you can't find a fish shop/pet store to take them then post them on craiglist as free.

by the way, syno = synodonis.

yeah i just got them from someone who didnt take care of the tank at ALL but i do want to get rid of some mainly the gold fish just cause they are kind of plan but like i said i do know some that have tanks empty so ill hit them up...
[OUOTE]As long as your brother has a sufficent size tank the synodonis should be able to be with them.[/QUOTE]
I think im gonna keep him or is that a bad idea? i was gonna lose the goldfish.

Ya, i believe it would be fine. The only thing is that they are know for LOVING tetras, i know of someone were over a 2 week period it ate15 neons and 1 nite it ate 7 rummynose tetras. They wait tell they are asleep and YUM YU YUM. The tetras like sleeping on the bottom that is why. So it is up too you. And some will be aggressive to other bottom dwellers but this vary from fish to fish. So it is up to you. Does he ever seem aggressive to your corydoras? They are also known to be seeen swimming upside down which is not uncommon in the synodonis species. ANd once they are established in your tank for a while they will start comin out more. If you ever add any other bottom dwellers (which i would not suggest in your tank with a syno and corydoras already) you might want to rerange the decor to confuse it and make it establish a new territory.

to be honest im not sure they are tetras...
hes never aggressive ive seen him dart out fast and dart back fast thats about it... he does swim upside down that wad my next question actually hah.

Just keep an eye on him, if he has not been aggressive then i would not worry about it. Like i said, that verys from fish to fish. You main concern should be getting rid of those goldfish.

Back
Top Bottom