Picture quality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Reading through this forum I've been wondering how people take such clear nice pictures of their fish/tanks. My pictures the fish are blurry and my tank looks yellow. I use my iPhone which takes fairly good pictures just not of aquaria lol. Any tips or tricks to taking clearer pictures?

I don't know much about phone cameras, but I recommend just tinkering with the settings. Some people on here use really expensive cameras, and can easily take nice shots. But, as I have figured out, even a cheap little digital camera like mine can take good shots if you know how to use it. Play around with the settings, see what happens. You may be surprised:brows:

A fast shutter speed is pretty much a must for fish. 1/200 or faster. Getting enough light for that fast of a shutter speed is tricky, and probably isn't going to happen in a fish only tank with sub-par lighting. In a reef or planted tank, it's possible... I just set my camera to continuous shutter, 1/200, and manual focus. Out of probably 30 pics, there might be one decent one.

If you have a preflash option or red eye setting, that will do the trick. If not, maybe an action setting? The red eye and action setting have built in preflash(es)

Ah the classic continuous picture option. Well I guess I'm gunna have to upgrade my camera skills. My wife has a canon t3i but there is so many buttons and negative/positive settings I have no clue. Well thanks for the tips. I imagine a flash couldn't be the best thing for fish probably? It's just hard to get them sitting still without sleeping

I think trying to use a flash on an aquarium just doesn't yield good results because of all the glass/reflection. It is really hard to take a good aquarium pic with an iPhone. Most of the really quality photos you see people post come from cameras that are better equipped to handle low light/fast moving fish.

If you have the option on your camera, use the manual focus and not the auto focus. The auto focus tends to focus on the surface of the glass, not the subject inside.

Back
Top Bottom