Planted the 125 :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jetajockey

come get me tang police!
Planted the 125 discus tank. Lighting and filtration upgrades in the works. The plants need to fill in a bit, especially the marsilea in the center. I broke it apart and separated it so that it hopefully fills in a little easier.

Attachments

• 125new.jpg
    125new.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 308
That looks awesome! Can't wait to see it in a few months after everything has filled in, especially in front of the driftwood.

Thanks for all the kind words. This setup was really really cheap. The filter and lighting are being upgraded but as far as the tank itself goes, it was only $100 with the stand included. The sword plants were on sale at pet supermarket a few weeks ago, so we got them for 1.75-2 dollars apiece. The driftwood was bought in a large group so it was less than $10. And the awesome planted tank substrate is made of mineralized topsoil and oil-dri. The mineralized topsoil is labor intensive, but well worth it. Total cost of substrate <$10.

Thanks. I mix kno3/k2so4/mgso4+7h2o along with csm+b into 500ML of water and use it for ferts. It's along the lines of the basic pps recipe.

I also dose glutaraldehyde (active ingredient in excel). The lighting at the moment is inadequate, it's only a single t5ho grow light, but it does keep the plants growing and green. I'm planning to a dual bulb setup in the near future, but probably won't do any more because i don't want to go pressurized co2.

jetajockey said:
Thanks. I mix kno3/k2so4/mgso4+7h2o along with csm+b into 500ML of water and use it for ferts. It's along the lines of the basic pps recipe.

I also dose glutaraldehyde (active ingredient in excel). The lighting at the moment is inadequate, it's only a single t5ho grow light, but it does keep the plants growing and green. I'm planning to a dual bulb setup in the near future, but probably won't do any more because i don't want to go pressurized co2.

Glutara is only for a co2 subatitute right? If not what? And where did you get your kno3? Can't find it anywhere except online

Beautiful! I don't know a lot about discus...do they need lots of open space? It looks like you have the whole front of the tank open and I wasn't sure if that was aesthetic preference or fishy preference :)

Glutara is only for a co2 subatitute right? If not what? And where did you get your kno3? Can't find it anywhere except online
Correct. It's much cheaper than buying excel.

I bought my kno3 online, but I've read that spectracide stump remover is pure kno3 also. Just google around a bit.

The cost isnt too high form a place like aquariumfertilizer.com or bobstropicalplants.com, as you'll likely need to get the rest of the macros/micros anyhow and might as well get them all at once. The one exception is mgso4 which is easily found in its hydrated form in basic epsom salt.

Beautiful! I don't know a lot about discus...do they need lots of open space? It looks like you have the whole front of the tank open and I wasn't sure if that was aesthetic preference or fishy preference :)

It's mostly aesthetic, low growing plants make up the front center area which keeps the focus on the center of the tank, it also helps keep the fish concentrated towards the middle center as well. Discus are grazers so I like to keep an open area to drop pellets in so they can find them easily.

Tank looks great Jeta. How big is the DW? Looks like at least 3' long. How about from front to back? Is that a 6' or 5' tank?

jetajockey said:
Correct. It's much cheaper than buying excel.

I bought my kno3 online, but I've read that spectracide stump remover is pure kno3 also. Just google around a bit.

The cost isnt too high form a place like aquariumfertilizer.com or bobstropicalplants.com, as you'll likely need to get the rest of the macros/micros anyhow and might as well get them all at once. The one exception is mgso4 which is easily found in its hydrated form in basic epsom salt.

Is flourish comprehensive fine for all of the macros/micros? Idk. Never used ferts in my 15g

its 60x18x26, the lady I bought it from said it was a custom built tank that her uncle had made for his restaurant, and it spent at least 20 years in there till they shut the business down.

Yeah the driftwood piece is huge.

jetajockey said:
its 60x18x26, the lady I bought it from said it was a custom built tank that her uncle had made for his restaurant, and it spent at least 20 years in there till they shut the business down.

Yeah the driftwood piece is huge.

We have the same size tank. Same diameters. I can really imagine now the size of the driftwood. Nice.

How much do you dose your glutaraldehyde? Concetration of your bottle?

Back
Top Bottom