post your best aquarium pics and make this a huge thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
image-2734126532.jpg

I've had this problem in my 30 gallon marine tank for around a month now.it looke like brown diatoms,if you stir the sandbed within 30 minutes it's brown again.water parameters are as follows ph 8.0,phosphates 0,nitrates 5ppm,calcium around 500,magnesium around 1500,dkh 8,I have a turnover of x50.only use ro water which is tested and fine.temp 74f,did have 10 fish now reduced to 6,tunze 9002 skimmer,been running phosban reactor for about 3 weeks with rowaphos,also running filter floss and purigen.at a loss now cannot get rid of this problem only other thing is to do bigger weekly water change.at the moment I change just over 2 gallons every week which I have done for the last 3 months,also have around 7 hermits,3 turbo snails,5 nassarius snails and a couple of small ceriths.just bought a sand sifting gobie.

Not using live rock as I bought dry rock didn't want any nasty critters.also using 30 lb of sugar fine carib sea sand which was washed in ro water thoroughly before use.lights are on timer for only 6 hours a day

Attachments

• image-2184834835.jpg
    image-2184834835.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 119
Last edited by a moderator:
I've had this problem in my 30 gallon marine tank for around a month now.it looke like brown diatoms,if you stir the sandbed within 30 minutes it's brown again.water parameters are as follows ph 8.0,phosphates 0,nitrates 5ppm,calcium around 500,magnesium around 1500,dkh 8,I have a turnover of x50.only use ro water which is tested and fine.temp 74f,did have 10 fish now reduced to 6,tunze 9002 skimmer,been running phosban reactor for about 3 weeks with rowaphos,also running filter floss and purigen.at a loss now cannot get rid of this problem only other thing is to do bigger weekly water change.at the moment I change just over 2 gallons every week which I have done for the last 3 months,also have around 7 hermits,3 turbo snails,5 nassarius snails and a couple of small ceriths.just bought a sand sifting gobie.

Not using live rock as I bought dry rock didn't want any nasty critters.also using 30 lb of sugar fine carib sea sand which was washed in ro water thoroughly before use.lights are on timer for only 6 hours a day

Detrius build up, add more flow.

Brown slime? Does mine look like its got it? Ive had it for 5 months.

No i dont see any. Im sure you can do a search on it. It looks just as the name implies. Brown slime where flesh meets skeleton. Yours looks good though from pic.

No i dont see any. Im sure you can do a search on it. It looks just as the name implies. Brown slime where flesh meets skeleton. Yours looks good though from pic.

Yeah i dont see any when i look, and if it did have it the torch would be dead already lol

It will work its way out with water changes and as the tank matures. The flow seems to be ok looking at some coral in the pics. Live sand or rock would help propagate the base rock and sand. I have the same fine white sand... shows everything! Jusy keep params in check.

I like my bimini pink sand, used it in my 37 and 20 and am useing a mix of it with bahama oolite in the up coming 60 cube. It has a bunch of shells in it to help stuff blend in.

I like my bimini pink sand, used it in my 37 and 20 and am useing a mix of it with bahama oolite in the up coming 60 cube. It has a bunch of shells in it to help stuff blend in.

I would probably use alittle coarser sand if i setup another tank just so syphon vac wouldnt suck sand up. I deffinately wouldnt recommend alot of shell or crushed coral as these 'chunky' types of substrate can be a serious detrious trap. No to mention alot of fish like wrasses may get injured by trying to dive into the sand. I started off with florida crushed coral and man what a mess it was switching to sand! It did look good...for a while.

I would probably use alittle coarser sand if i setup another tank just so syphon vac wouldnt suck sand up. I deffinately wouldnt recommend alot of shell or crushed coral as these 'chunky' types of substrate can be a serious detrious trap. No to mention alot of fish like wrasses may get injured by trying to dive into the sand. I started off with florida crushed coral and man what a mess it was switching to sand! It did look good...for a while.

Its pretty fine, not rocky but it has some pink shells on the top of the sand thats all.

Too many rocks or too many small rocks can become traps for crap too. Luckily 2 of the main collection points are at the front in the open.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131224_055044.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131224_055044.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
110 gal Mbuna tank. With a jack dempsy a convict 3 bala sharks and a blue prawn.

image-1786655463.jpg

image-1128367975.jpg

image-1128367975.jpg

Attachments

• image-4210230433.jpg
    image-4210230433.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 126
I have 2 koralia 900s a1200 and 2800 total 5800 lph,the 1200 and 2800 are fluval pumps cp3 not sure on other.ive ordered new koralia 3200 to replace the cp3 as it's on suction cups

My yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp finally paired up!!! Late christmas present!

image-1256547859.jpg

The shrimps feasting on a shrimp pellet i gave him when i fed the fish, and the goby is standing guard.

My 180 Juwel vision. 1st freshwater tank. Stocked with guppies platys bristle nose pluck neon tetra and golden barbs. Some really nice tanks on here I hope people like mine for a novice :)

Sent from my XT890 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1388074856187.jpg
    1388074856187.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 126
My 180 Juwel vision. 1st freshwater tank. Stocked with guppies platys bristle nose pluck neon tetra and golden barbs. Some really nice tanks on here I hope people like mine for a novice :)

Sent from my XT890 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lookin' good xlareonlx! Keep up the nice aquascaping. If your anything like me you'll be changing it soon lol. I change mine over (aquascaping) like once a month. I may stick with this last set up I have. I think it turned out well and it's growing on me. I'd love to have a 180 gal. That'd be a lot of cichlids lol. Nice job!!

Hutty.

Lookin' good xlareonlx! Keep up the nice aquascaping. If your anything like me you'll be changing it soon lol. I change mine over (aquascaping) like once a month. I may stick with this last set up I have. I think it turned out well and it's growing on me. I'd love to have a 180 gal. That'd be a lot of cichlids lol. Nice job!!

Hutty.

Your probably right about aquascaping, i do like to mess around with ornaments etc im just gonna keep a lookout for a nice tall ornament to take centre stage of my tank :) Btw, my tank is not 180gallon, its a Juwel vision 180 Litre haha, i wish i had a 180 gallon, alot of work though i imagine. Whats your tank like? images available?

Back
Top Bottom