Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-23-2013, 03:19 PM   #241

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul87 View Post

Torches can be finicky and prone to that brown slime that will wipe it out if its not happy. I got one a long time ago with brown jelly... didnt live long.
Brown slime? Does mine look like its got it? Ive had it for 5 months.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #242
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2734126532.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	213243

I've had this problem in my 30 gallon marine tank for around a month now.it looke like brown diatoms,if you stir the sandbed within 30 minutes it's brown again.water parameters are as follows ph 8.0,phosphates 0,nitrates 5ppm,calcium around 500,magnesium around 1500,dkh 8,I have a turnover of x50.only use ro water which is tested and fine.temp 74f,did have 10 fish now reduced to 6,tunze 9002 skimmer,been running phosban reactor for about 3 weeks with rowaphos,also running filter floss and purigen.at a loss now cannot get rid of this problem only other thing is to do bigger weekly water change.at the moment I change just over 2 gallons every week which I have done for the last 3 months,also have around 7 hermits,3 turbo snails,5 nassarius snails and a couple of small ceriths.just bought a sand sifting gobie.

Not using live rock as I bought dry rock didn't want any nasty critters.also using 30 lb of sugar fine carib sea sand which was washed in ro water thoroughly before use.lights are on timer for only 6 hours a day
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2184834835.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	213244  

Old 12-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thechoof1968 View Post

I've had this problem in my 30 gallon marine tank for around a month now.it looke like brown diatoms,if you stir the sandbed within 30 minutes it's brown again.water parameters are as follows ph 8.0,phosphates 0,nitrates 5ppm,calcium around 500,magnesium around 1500,dkh 8,I have a turnover of x50.only use ro water which is tested and fine.temp 74f,did have 10 fish now reduced to 6,tunze 9002 skimmer,been running phosban reactor for about 3 weeks with rowaphos,also running filter floss and purigen.at a loss now cannot get rid of this problem only other thing is to do bigger weekly water change.at the moment I change just over 2 gallons every week which I have done for the last 3 months,also have around 7 hermits,3 turbo snails,5 nassarius snails and a couple of small ceriths.just bought a sand sifting gobie.

Not using live rock as I bought dry rock didn't want any nasty critters.also using 30 lb of sugar fine carib sea sand which was washed in ro water thoroughly before use.lights are on timer for only 6 hours a day
Detrius build up, add more flow.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:37 PM   #244
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman007 View Post

Brown slime? Does mine look like its got it? Ive had it for 5 months.
No i dont see any. Im sure you can do a search on it. It looks just as the name implies. Brown slime where flesh meets skeleton. Yours looks good though from pic.

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:38 PM   #245

Quote:

No i dont see any. Im sure you can do a search on it. It looks just as the name implies. Brown slime where flesh meets skeleton. Yours looks good though from pic.
Yeah i dont see any when i look, and if it did have it the torch would be dead already lol
Old 12-23-2013, 10:41 PM   #246
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thechoof1968 View Post

It will work its way out with water changes and as the tank matures. The flow seems to be ok looking at some coral in the pics. Live sand or rock would help propagate the base rock and sand. I have the same fine white sand... shows everything! Jusy keep params in check.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #247

I like my bimini pink sand, used it in my 37 and 20 and am useing a mix of it with bahama oolite in the up coming 60 cube. It has a bunch of shells in it to help stuff blend in.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:33 AM   #248
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman007 View Post
I like my bimini pink sand, used it in my 37 and 20 and am useing a mix of it with bahama oolite in the up coming 60 cube. It has a bunch of shells in it to help stuff blend in.
I would probably use alittle coarser sand if i setup another tank just so syphon vac wouldnt suck sand up. I deffinately wouldnt recommend alot of shell or crushed coral as these 'chunky' types of substrate can be a serious detrious trap. No to mention alot of fish like wrasses may get injured by trying to dive into the sand. I started off with florida crushed coral and man what a mess it was switching to sand! It did look good...for a while.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:01 AM   #249

Quote:

I would probably use alittle coarser sand if i setup another tank just so syphon vac wouldnt suck sand up. I deffinately wouldnt recommend alot of shell or crushed coral as these 'chunky' types of substrate can be a serious detrious trap. No to mention alot of fish like wrasses may get injured by trying to dive into the sand. I started off with florida crushed coral and man what a mess it was switching to sand! It did look good...for a while.
Its pretty fine, not rocky but it has some pink shells on the top of the sand thats all.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:53 AM   #250
Aquarium Advice Addict

Too many rocks or too many small rocks can become traps for crap too. Luckily 2 of the main collection points are at the front in the open.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20131224_055044.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	213336  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
molliwopp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
big, aquarium, pics, huge

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com