Post your full tank shot here.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is my Ciclid 55G tank. Its my first Ciclid tank. If you see anything wrong or have a recommendation to make it better, please let me know. Ive been in the hobby 5 monthsImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424891915.914378.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It looks ok, I'm just not fond of any toys in a tank, or skulls, I like to make it more natural, if you like it that's fine, I would replace the ship for a nice piece of bog wood as a centre piece and a few more plants as a back drop........just my thoughts

Finally got around to posting some shots of my planted community tank/planted snake vivarium:

Attachments

• IMG_3513.JPG
    IMG_3513.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 149
  • FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 133
  • FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 136
Tank looks super AV, Water is so clear, plants look incredibly healthy, the whole set up looks real good, well done.........

Thanks, Ricky 1! the next step is to get a CO2 meter for the aquarium and an O2 meter for the vivarium and close the loop and start tweaking the atmosphere, recirculating the warm humid air between them and further conserving BTU's. having control of the atmosphere will allow me to balance the various biological processes, I want to see if I can build up the CO2 levels enough to spur the plants while keeping it within safe limits for the snake, without CO2 injection. the stand has 3.5 inches of insulation around it, that's why it's not all rimless and sleek, but for that sacrifice I have the wattage consumption down to a trickle (the heat form the lights is nearly all that is needed to heat the whole thing) which is good because we are trying to produce all our own energy from our roof top solar.

AV, how did you insulate?. I have a 125G Discus tank & need heaters to maintain a 30 deg C

My 10g, breeding Endlers, yellow & orange shrimp. None of the plants were purchased specifically for this tank, they're all leftovers from others.

img_3170486_0_c858bc7c9d2b2594d3d2af7daf05ad79.jpg

rohit1592014 keep a heads up in the DIY section, I'll try and get the pictures uploaded for discussion there, I don't want to get OT on this thread. the long and short of it is that I made a 4x4 frame (4x4's are really 3.5 inches wide) and used 3.5 inch thick poly iso insulation for the bulk of it, adding closed cell foam (the rigid stuff at home depot) where I thought that standing water might ever reach it's way in or where hot humid air would exit (basically the first and second "floor" and the lid). I then used "great stuff" spray foam to seal the edges into place, as well as adhere shower liner over the insulation and wood to prevent wicking of moisture (it's very important to guard against moisture getting into poli iso insulation, I used it because I had some laying around and it give R20.5 in 3.5 inch space and fits perfectly in the space provided by 4x4's, but rigid foam is much more moisture tolerant and therefore a safer bet, though a little bit lower in R rating). if you have a planted tank and are using LED grow lights, enclosing the hood provides a lot of heat. you do need to be aware of the temperature and humidity perameters of the light fixture. CF and incandescents are likely too hot, without a fan and venting. I'm still playing around with how to circulate air and balance heat and humidity. I have not found any fans designed for high humidity and highish heat. I have settled for the short term on using a fish tank air pump, figuring most shops are super high humidity and quite warm. I have not placed the air pump inside the enclosure yet, because I still smell off gassing of the sealants and felt a need to pump in fresh air to avoid toxing the critters. this is definitely a DIY kind of thing and requires awareness of heat encapsulation risks and takes a fair amount of dinkering to get dialed in. ideally, it would probably be best to do this at the beginning during a fishless cycling where undershooting or overshooting temps won't cost you the life in your tank. I work from home so I can monitor closely as I make changes. Insulating the underside and back and sides would likely save you a lot of electricity without running into over heating, with LED's at least. actually sealing and covering over the top is where there is a big change and apparently a greater need for close monitoring. anyhow, i'll try and put the details in the DIY section and am happy to answer questions and receive recommendations as I go. cheers!

AV, how did you insulate?. I have a 125G Discus tank & need heaters to maintain a 30 deg C

Where'd you dissapear to??? The reef is looking stunning!

I had my 2 best techs accept my job basically at other dealerships so I've actually had to work in the shop lately. So I've had to dust off the tool box and not as much time to surf AA :(

And thanks, it's had a couple small issues lately but running pretty smooth

Looking good BigRed! Those scans are nice! (y)

Thanks Paul, snail knocked the Yuma down onto my purple acans last week and killed a couple heads :(.

img_3171238_0_474a3783326d25413244ff04b7cedca1.jpg

WOW that's intense the way those colors pop couldn't help but drool
that black sand really does work

Thanks seaweed. Yeah I'm really happy with the black sand in a small tank, don't know if I'd like it in a big system (and wish I would of gone with a different color for the fw). That pic was also at a point in " sunrise" of the tank where the blues were almost all the way up and the whites were just starting to come up, so there's a little extra pop from that too

Thanks Paul, snail knocked the Yuma down onto my purple acans last week and killed a couple heads :(.

Thanks seaweed. Yeah I'm really happy with the black sand in a small tank, don't know if I'd like it in a big system (and wish I would of gone with a different color for the fw). That pic was also at a point in " sunrise" of the tank where the blues were almost all the way up and the whites were just starting to come up, so there's a little extra pop from that too

Aww man sorry to hear that.

My 60 gallon cichlid tank. I really wanted to do a natural Malawi decor but I already had the plastic fake corals lying around so I used them. Many of my non aquarium keeping friends have asked if its saltwater lol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1425043079500.jpg
    1425043079500.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 113
Not the fanciest at all and no live plants but this is my tank so far. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425043238.101688.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425043255.799096.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425043276.167999.jpg

Back
Top Bottom