Post your full tank shot here.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Awesome tanks. In pic #2 the white ribbon plant is not actually fully aquatic. If the leaves are submerged they will eventually wilt and die.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Carlos, good start! Just note, Dracaena is not an aquatic plant! It will sooner or later decompose in your aquarium, what can have very negative impact on water quality and fish's health...

Hey guys,

So that day I got home and took out those plants out of our 55 and our son's Cue 5 gallon (did not post pics of our two 5 gallons), and tested the water just to see, nitrates were through the roof and the water had a DISGUSTING smell when we stirred it all up, it was a nasty nasty smell. We did a water change immediately and lowered the levels to normal. But it was too late for one of our Ghost Knife fish, unfortunately.
Today we went to the fish store and got a whole bunch of UNDERWATER PLANTS, lol. So levels are good now.

So thank you, thank you guys for the help, I really appreciate it.

Sent from my E6782 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey guys,

So that day I got home and took out those plants out of our 55 and our son's Cue 5 gallon (did not post pics of our two 5 gallons), and tested the water just to see, nitrates were through the roof and the water had a DISGUSTING smell when we stirred it all up, it was a nasty nasty smell. We did a water change immediately and lowered the levels to normal. But it was too late for one of our Ghost Knife fish, unfortunately.
Today we went to the fish store and got a whole bunch of UNDERWATER PLANTS, lol. So levels are good now.

So thank you, thank you guys for the help, I really appreciate it.

Did you just say ONE of the BGK? How many do you have? What size tank?

EDIT: looked on you page to confirm.
A bunch of the fish you have in their will outgrow that 55. Have you seen a BGK full grown? It looks cramped in a 75g by itself... I'd suggest you redo some stocking... Fast...

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Last edited:
Your nitrates were through the roof because you are SERIOUSLY overstocked in that tank..

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Your nitrates were through the roof because you are SERIOUSLY overstocked in that tank..

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Did you just say ONE of the BGK? How many do you have? What size tank?

EDIT: looked on you page to confirm.
A bunch of the fish you have in their will outgrow that 55. Have you seen a BGK full grown? It looks cramped in a 75g by itself... I'd suggest you redo some stocking... Fast...

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Yeah, I know. They were in the 210 but it started leaking so I had no choice but to move them to the 55. As soon as I get the 210 running, hopefully this week, they are going back as soon as the water cycles.

Yeah, I know. They were in the 210 but it started leaking so I had no choice but to move them to the 55. As soon as I get the 210 running, hopefully this week, they are going back as soon as the water cycles.

It's still sorta overstocked imo

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

5 pleco's is an insane bioload. Plus clown loaches prefer groups.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

The plecos do great in the large tank, I dont have any issues with water quality or stress with them. They aren't at a size that's causing issues. It was just those plants causing my nitrate levels to go up. I inherited the clown loach from an old lady, that's why I only have one. It's 10 yrs old and about 4 inches.

So I know now it was that plant because it was kind of rotted and smelled horrible.

The plecos do great in the large tank, I dont have any issues with water quality or stress with them. They aren't at a size that's causing issues. It was just those plants causing my nitrate levels to go up. I inherited the clown loach from an old lady, that's why I only have one. It's 10 yrs old and about 4 inches.

So I know now it was that plant because it was kind of rotted and smelled horrible.

Plants do not raise nitrate that i am aware of... They actually LOWER the nitrate, It's your giant bioload. If you can show me some factual evidence of plants raising nitrate levels I will gladly change my thinking.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Carlos, only decomposed Draecena could pull a nitrate level up, but not "standard" aquatic plants! Although there may be some exceptions: e.g. plecos ravaging the plants if it has a lack of green food (with spirulina) and the wood in aquarium. I believe, it's not your case...

Plants do not raise nitrate that i am aware of... They actually LOWER the nitrate, It's your giant bioload. If you can show me some factual evidence of plants raising nitrate levels I will gladly change my thinking.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I'm not trying to change anyone's thinking. After it was pointed out that Dracaena plants are not fully water plants I did some research and it turns out that as they die from too much constant water they will decompose and the roots, if I remember correctly, will release small, but constant, amounts of nitrates and CO2.

I'm not a fish expert, don't claim to be one, but I've had these fish for a long time with no issues whatsoever. Water quality has always been good with normal levels. I recently started messing with plants without knowing and when it was brought up about that plant I did a water test and they were high.

I understand that's too many fish for a 55 but they don't all go in the 55.

65 gallon reef tank

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427184668.473819.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427184668.473819.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 125
Back
Top Bottom