Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-24-2015, 11:12 AM   #3261
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpruter View Post
Attachment 265261

Here is my 300 gallon saltwater tank
Very nice!

paul87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:18 PM   #3262
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Here is my Ciclid 55G tank. Its my first Ciclid tank. If you see anything wrong or have a recommendation to make it better, please let me know. Ive been in the hobby 5 monthsClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424891915.914378.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	265435

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 02-25-2015, 03:43 PM   #3263
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It looks ok, I'm just not fond of any toys in a tank, or skulls, I like to make it more natural, if you like it that's fine, I would replace the ship for a nice piece of bog wood as a centre piece and a few more plants as a back drop........just my thoughts
Old 02-25-2015, 04:43 PM   #3264

Finally got around to posting some shots of my planted community tank/planted snake vivarium:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3513.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	265454   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender-2.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	265455  

Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender-3.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	265456  
Old 02-25-2015, 04:50 PM   #3265
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Tank looks super AV, Water is so clear, plants look incredibly healthy, the whole set up looks real good, well done.........
Old 02-25-2015, 05:56 PM   #3266

Thanks, Ricky 1! the next step is to get a CO2 meter for the aquarium and an O2 meter for the vivarium and close the loop and start tweaking the atmosphere, recirculating the warm humid air between them and further conserving BTU's. having control of the atmosphere will allow me to balance the various biological processes, I want to see if I can build up the CO2 levels enough to spur the plants while keeping it within safe limits for the snake, without CO2 injection. the stand has 3.5 inches of insulation around it, that's why it's not all rimless and sleek, but for that sacrifice I have the wattage consumption down to a trickle (the heat form the lights is nearly all that is needed to heat the whole thing) which is good because we are trying to produce all our own energy from our roof top solar.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:29 PM   #3267
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sounds like an interesting project, keep us posted......
Old 02-26-2015, 10:20 AM   #3268
Aquarium Advice Regular

AV, how did you insulate?. I have a 125G Discus tank & need heaters to maintain a 30 deg C

Old 02-26-2015, 10:57 AM   #3269
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

My 10g, breeding Endlers, yellow & orange shrimp. None of the plants were purchased specifically for this tank, they're all leftovers from others.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:19 PM   #3270

rohit1592014 keep a heads up in the DIY section, I'll try and get the pictures uploaded for discussion there, I don't want to get OT on this thread. the long and short of it is that I made a 4x4 frame (4x4's are really 3.5 inches wide) and used 3.5 inch thick poly iso insulation for the bulk of it, adding closed cell foam (the rigid stuff at home depot) where I thought that standing water might ever reach it's way in or where hot humid air would exit (basically the first and second "floor" and the lid). I then used "great stuff" spray foam to seal the edges into place, as well as adhere shower liner over the insulation and wood to prevent wicking of moisture (it's very important to guard against moisture getting into poli iso insulation, I used it because I had some laying around and it give R20.5 in 3.5 inch space and fits perfectly in the space provided by 4x4's, but rigid foam is much more moisture tolerant and therefore a safer bet, though a little bit lower in R rating). if you have a planted tank and are using LED grow lights, enclosing the hood provides a lot of heat. you do need to be aware of the temperature and humidity perameters of the light fixture. CF and incandescents are likely too hot, without a fan and venting. I'm still playing around with how to circulate air and balance heat and humidity. I have not found any fans designed for high humidity and highish heat. I have settled for the short term on using a fish tank air pump, figuring most shops are super high humidity and quite warm. I have not placed the air pump inside the enclosure yet, because I still smell off gassing of the sealants and felt a need to pump in fresh air to avoid toxing the critters. this is definitely a DIY kind of thing and requires awareness of heat encapsulation risks and takes a fair amount of dinkering to get dialed in. ideally, it would probably be best to do this at the beginning during a fishless cycling where undershooting or overshooting temps won't cost you the life in your tank. I work from home so I can monitor closely as I make changes. Insulating the underside and back and sides would likely save you a lot of electricity without running into over heating, with LED's at least. actually sealing and covering over the top is where there is a big change and apparently a greater need for close monitoring. anyhow, i'll try and put the details in the DIY section and am happy to answer questions and receive recommendations as I go. cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohit1592014 View Post
AV, how did you insulate?. I have a 125G Discus tank & need heaters to maintain a 30 deg C

Tags
aquarium, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com