Post your full tank shot here.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My 20 gal long. Just finished cycling last week. Now home to 7 male Endlers and 2 Mystery snails while I ponder stocking ideas.

80495-albums12903-picture59704.html

Attachments

• 20G_030b_web.jpg
    20G_030b_web.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 127
My 20 gal long. Just finished cycling last week. Now home to 7 male Endlers and 2 Mystery snails while I ponder stocking ideas.

The stock I'm going have for my 20gL tank (I'm still setting it up) is:
6x hatchets
6x bleeding heart tetra
5x rummy nose tetra
4x kuhli loach

Just so you know :) Btw, I LOOOOOOVVVVEEE your aquascaping!

Reefer Rusty's Reef Rehabilitation - 120g Reef

I have been down the road to disaster and back. I just want to post this, so that everyone is surely aware that your tank can have a catastrophe in just a matter of minutes.

Last Winter, I have an overstocked with corals 120 gallon reef. I had over 100 corals, 20 Fish, and tons of inverts.

I was having a hard time keeping things warm in the winter running 150 watt and 100 watt heaters together. So I went out and purchased a Marineland 400 watt heater. Things were great. Tank was warm, corals were flourishing.

61709-albums12905-picture59716.jpg

One day I was at work, and received a phone call from my wife. Frantic! She says, "Rusty! Somethings wrong with the tank! Everything is closed! Fish are hiding!". I said, "Go through the tank and look around! Check the sump!" We hung up and I received a call back with the reply, "The heaters broke!" my wife said. I replied, "Unplug it!" When I got home, I found this:

61709-albums12905-picture59717.jpg

The heater had exploded. Literally. The top blew off, the bottom blew out. Why? No idea! Apparently must have had an internal flaw that caused it to explode and electrocute everything. I will NEVER buy another Marineland heater! As due to the explosion, it left me with this:

61709-albums12905-picture59718.jpg

I lost everything, but a few fish and a few corals.
Survived:
  • Rose Bubble Tip Anemone
  • 2 Chalices
  • Kenya Tree

Important Things Lost:
  • 70+ SPS Acro Frags
  • All My Soft Coral
  • Platinum Clown
  • Pink Square Anthia
  • All My Inverts
  • Over 15 Fish

Not Long after this photo the rest of the fish died.

So, 5 months later, I have recovered my tank to a state that is actually nice to look at again:

61709-albums12905-picture59720.jpg

So keep in mind, just a simple thing as a heater breaking can destroy everything, and you get what you pay for. I know things are expensive, but buy quality equipment to protect your investment. Good luck reefing!

-Rusty

So keep in mind, just a simple thing as a heater breaking can destroy everything, and you get what you pay for. I know things are expensive, but buy quality equipment to protect your investment. Good luck reefing!

-Rusty

Wow Rusty. I'm glad that after 5 months your tank is "photo" friendly. you have made a beautiful comback.

I'm freshwater only, but a similar disaster can happy on our side, too -- lose all plants and fish to a mechanical or electrical failure. I'm so sorry for what happened to you!

I've already taken your advice. I have Aqueon Pro heaters which are considered some of the best on the market. And they were not cheap but they were worth the price.

However, even a well regarded heater can have a recall or a problem. It only minimizes the risk, it can not eliminate it. Even without an explosion any heater's thermostat can get stuck. It's scary in a way. We have to rely on technology to keep our tanks alive.

Glad this did not discourage you from the hobby. I'm so sorry for your losses. Best wishes for the future.

Wow Rusty that is so much loss for the time and money, but most importantly for the emotional aspect of dealing with the event, the clean up and the aftermath, and then the rest of the fish :nono:. With that dramatic loss it is hard to even have words for such a situation.

It is a pleasure to see the after picture, and the new life and creation that you have. Congrats for your hard work and determination (y)

When I was a kid we had a heater meltdown and lost all but 1 maybe 2 fish nearly "boiled" the water. I have always been "scared" of heaters.

2ohCXYc.jpg

Here's my five gallon hex with a silver beta and spotted kory catfish, lots of plants and a rock. This is all I currently have room for. I used to have a 60 gal cichlid tank when I had a man-cave lol. But I've had an aquarium of some sort since I was fifteen.

Anyway, joined the site to ask a question about bio-wheels which I will do in another forum. Thought I'd post a pic of my fish first!

Tank shot.?.

Not the entire tank, but a shot taken yesterday before the power filter failed and I had to get another. Several tetras and a rasbora all healthy and happy before yesterday's adventures!

Attachments

• IMG_20130727_125619.jpg
    IMG_20130727_125619.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 123
My 75g mixed reef with Ecoxotic Marine and Actinic LED's

Attachments

• image-2140760573.jpg
    image-2140760573.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 153
My 6months old 30g planted tank.

Attachments

• image-425373727.jpg