Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-18-2011, 05:29 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by J12bon View Post
Attachment 66064

What do you think?
From 1-10, I rate your tank a 5. I probably would've rated higher, but the symmetry of the clear stones is ruining it for me. I prefer a more natural appearance with fish tanks.

75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:05 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks, I agree it dosnt look all that natural with the bridge & clear stones, when I'm able to upgrade to a big tank I'm going to do a more natural set up. I'm also considering getting another smaller tank for now to set up a SW nano reef which will obviously be a natural set up.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:34 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

1-10 I say a 7 .
30G- S. and C. America tank
Fishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:03 PM   #14

Thanks
Old 12-18-2011, 06:33 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

If you like it, then it's a 10. Doesn't matter what we think. You are the one looking at it day after day. Do whatever you like the best, not what others tell you to do. There is no right or wrong way to decorate your tank.

Personally, I like it. Are those plastic or live plants? Either way I think it looks good!
Old 12-19-2011, 11:09 AM   #16

Thanks very much.
I think next time I will use a finer substrate but apart from that I'm pretty pleased with it. Being a newbie I didn't want too much to have to learn about all at once & therefore opted for plastic plants however I realise there are benefits to real plants so will look to change before too long.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:11 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I can't even tell you how many changes my tanks have been through, my first tank especially. Hard to believe, looking at my tanks now, that I started off with blue gravel and bathing beauty statues as decor.....
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:15 AM   #18

Hi LyndaB, do you know of a way to change the substrate without having to move the fish into a new tank, completely empty etc etc? seems like a big job to me.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

When swapping substrates it is almost required that you remove the fish from the tank. Things will get way too murky and stress the fish out if you don't remove them.

What I do is:

- Shut the filters/heaters/lights off
- Drain the tank halfway with your gravel vac, fill a 5g bucket with the tank water
- Remove decor/plants
- Put filter media in bucket
- Net fish into 5g bucket
- Cover bucket with a towel to keep the fish from being stressed
- Drain the tank the rest of the way
- Scoop out the gravel
- Rinse your new substrate and add it to the tank
- Put your new decor in and plants
- Fill it up
- Net your fish and add them
Old 12-19-2011, 12:09 PM   #20

Yep that is a fairly big job but not too terrible. Thanks for the advice, I may consider doing that in the new year. Thanks.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com