Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-30-2007, 09:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Re-did my 120g planted

Four days ago, I pulled all my plants out and did a complete swap of my substrate. I went from about 50/50 'natural' gravel and eco complete to 100% soilmaster select. It was difficult to judge how much I actually needed, as the water became quite cloudy as I put the SMS in the tank. This is even after I rinsed it to what I thought was pretty good... apparently not. I rinsed out my Eheim 2028 daily from sunday until today, which gradually went from mud to a fine silt. I placed filter floss in there yesterday, to clean up remaining particles.

Four days later, today, the tank is clear enough to plant my plants (I didn't want plants blocking flow of the filter any more than they had to, and I didn't want SMS debris on the plants). I had to leave the driftwood pieces in there the whole time, I don't have a container tall enough for them. The remaining plants stayed in a rubbermaid container.

I personally love the way it turned out, though I think I may have used a bit too much SMS. I ended up using about 80lbs, and got about 4-5 inches of depth.

After, with just driftwood:

After some planting:

Some more planting:

After I was done planting, then came back in a couple hours:

And my (I'm pretty sure) male FFF

"... if any one specie does not become modified and improved in a corresponding degree with its competitors, it will soon be exterminated." - Charles Darwin
evercl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Tank looks great

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever.
rich311k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:50 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

The substrate does have a really nice look to it! The fish look nice against it also.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:00 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Great cleanup.

theotheragentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:15 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
Looks gr8.
paul_219 is offline   Reply With Quote

20 gallon, plant, planted

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com