Red Faced Batfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CCXGT

Aquarium Advice Addict
Made a trip to the LFS yesterday, they have this new fish in.

I've never seen nor heard of it before so I had to take a pic:

Cool lil fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Man, I love batfish, just don't have the room for them. That ones a beauty though, great color on it

It's a pinnatus batfish.
They look great when small, but really present quite a few problems with keeping them.
They are very, very passive fish and if not careful will get destroyed if housed with the wrong tankmates

one other main issue is they really only look good when juveniles. They grow into their fins until they are pretty much a fancy dinner plate.
This how they look as adults;
Platax%20pinnatus%20Pinnate%20spadefish%20Kri%20Eco,%20Raja%20Ampat%20IMG_8221.jpg

and they get absolutely huge like most batfish, so you need at least a 240 to keep them.

It's a pinnatus batfish.
They look great when small, but really present quite a few problems with keeping them.
They are very, very passive fish and if not careful will get destroyed if housed with the wrong tankmates

one other main issue is they really only look good when juveniles. They grow into their fins until they are pretty much a fancy dinner plate.
This how they look as adults;
Platax%20pinnatus%20Pinnate%20spadefish%20Kri%20Eco,%20Raja%20Ampat%20IMG_8221.jpg

and they get absolutely huge like most batfish, so you need at least a 240 to keep them.

Yeah, I saw the label they had on it, "can grow up-to 18" tall"...

Mad fish...

One of my dream saltwater fish. Like said above, they get big and need a massive tank. They also seem to have a very high death rate- they ship poorly and need very specific requirements in a tank. I think it's recommended that they're the first to go in, and they require lots of algae to eat.
Just what I can remember from what I've read.

I think they look like natural glofish!

Fishobsessed7

3 tanks and counting! (6 if you count the bettas)

if I had a 1000g species only tank I'd consider a pair
they are pretty fish but get overly large

Well, this lil guy was about 2" tall.

He was £75. Something like $110 I think..

Looks fantastic though.

Back
Top Bottom