Russian tortoise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boro25

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just picked him up from store he’s been home for only a hour now ... tank was a lil warm so iv unplugged a heat since picture was took 56350429545__F1C18C70-7F2F-4B78-85B7-0EE1F2A1D326.jpg56350431417__CD36DF51-B4AD-40F5-BC55-B1DAF88B774B.jpg

Mixed / collard greens I’ll be doin things like Mellon’s once in a while

He doesn’t seem to eating much of anything and I think he’s trying to hibernate if he is what do I do if I don’t do that I just got him and I understand it can do more harm if not done right so I don’t want to risk it

I would not do melon, they cannot digest high sugar foods.

Is he sleeping a lot? It usually takes them quite a few days to adjust to a new home.

Also, if it's too hot or too cold it can encourage them to sleep a lot.

What kind of lights are you using and how long are they on? Russians need a lot of light and for 12 hours a day. They need a basking spot of 90-95 but they also need cooler areas so they can regulate their temperature.

What's the humidity at? They like it fairly dry, but it's also really important to soak him for 20 minutes several times a week.

One more tip for you, you'll want to cover the tank with something so he can't see out of it. Tortoises dont understand glass and will relentlessly try to run into it, and it also makes them feel vulnerable.

I personally don't hibernate my russian because it doesn't get cold where I live. If you do decide you want to hibernate him, you'll want to take him to a vet and have him checked out first. An unhealthy tortoise will not survive hibernation.

Thx for Mellon tip and I have a baskin spot that reaches 93 and on the cool side on the tank it’s 75 avg the humidity is at approx 40 no matter the location with it closer 35 or lower at the basking spot I use 160watt all in one heat uva and uvb bulbs ... 12 on 12 off

I don’t want to hibernate him cuz I don’t how but I think she’s already doing brumation (the sleeping and eating habits points toward this I swear) ( I talked to the pet store in which I got wanted to no the behavior she there and it’s the same at home)

I’m currently working on makin the tank non see thru for her

His burrow spot is at 80 in temp and jus above 30 in humidity

It sounds like you've got everything just right for him.

Are you soaking him? If he is trying to hibernate, frequent soaks and extending his lighting will discourage hibernation. Sometimes torts that don't hibernate will be sleepy for a couple months in winter, which is normal.

It's still possible he's just getting used to his new home and may need more time to adjust. It took mine at least a week to get his routine. He slept a lot during that time.

Hondstly idk I talked to that pet store today after work and what he’s doin now is what he was doin there and ik he was there for bout a month so idk if he’s still getting used to new home or not soaked him last nite does not like the water lol you say soak several times a wk win I think of several I think of 3-4 times

3-4 times a week is fine. Use warm water and he might like it a little better. Either way they're not always huge fans of bath time lol

He’s clearly adjusted to his home and I’m noticing after bath time he eats like rite away more active glad to see but I think I’m seein slight shell changes here’s a pic iv added a cuttlebone (spelt right idk) Friday cant rlly if he touched it or not yet box said it can take a couple wks thouIMG_0001.jpg

He’s clearly adjusted to his home and I’m noticing after bath time he eats like rite away more active glad to see but I think I’m seein slight shell changes here’s a pic iv added a cuttlebone (spelt right idk) Friday cant rlly if he touched it or not yet box said it can take a couple wks thouView attachment 311021

And what I’m seeing could be nothin rlly

I'm not sure about the shell. If it gets worse you may want to consider taking him to a vet.

A way to ensure they're getting the calcium they need is to buy a reptile vitamin. It's in the form of a powder and you just add some on top of their veggies a few times a week.

Planned on it for sure was hoping for second opinion on shell on here

Just an update went to vet no reason other than to check up make ... he is in great health not sick or weak at all and even got him sexed as male while there only thing vet told me todo was make wider variety in diet which I’m workin on but I’m findin hard rn since only thing will eat is romaine

Iv done kale collared greens and tortoise pellets... I tried spinach b4 learning not to he will eat that but I won’t feed it him

Back
Top Bottom