September Freshwater POTM Photo Submissions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neilanh

Sliced Bread
Please submit your pictures for the September FW contest. For the rules for the contest click here.

Please refrain from discussing the photos in this thread. Only information about the particular photo will be allowed. Start a new thread if you wish to discuss a particular photo.

Submissions for the September POTM will be taken until midnight EST on September 25th. Voting will occur from September 26th through October 1st.

Last edited:
img_1154612_0_4a68b218b2f8cfcd64dc9572f0ca3aaf.jpg

Blue Pearl Shrimp (Neocaridina zhangjiajiensis var. "Blue") -- "Berried" (i.e. egg-carrying) female

Care is similar to their more popular cousins, the Red Cherry Shrimp. Can tolerate pH from the mid/high 6's to around 8, but prefer slightly alkaline (pH 7.0 - 7.6), moderately hard water. Like most dwarf shrimp, they need clean water and are more sensitive to nitrates than fish are, so nitrates should ideally be kept as low as possible. They are scavengers and survive mainly by grazing on the algae & biofilm found in any well-established tank, which can be occasionally supplemented with a quality flake or pellet food, frozen bloodworms, etc., or blanched fresh veggies like zucchini or spinach. Full adult size is 1" to 1.5".

Attachments

• BP_POTMentry.jpg
    BP_POTMentry.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 134
Platy Camping

Platy - Xiphophorus maculatus

Micky Mouse Platy camping out in the aquariums tent

Attachments

• In The Tent.jpg
    In The Tent.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 112
One of these, is not like the Others.

Habitat:
26 Gallon Bowfront
Fluval 205 Canister Filter
Standard "Beginner's Kit" NO Fluorescent light (with LED moonlight)
81*F
pH ~7.4

The Subject:
This is Plecky. In case you can't tell, he's a Plecostomus. An Albino Bristlenose Plecostomus to be exact. He's currently perched on his favorite weekly snack of blanched zucchini. On his off-days, he enjoys eating algae, and long walks on my aquarium glass. That is - when he's not too busy looking after "The Charcoal Crew".

("Charcoal Crew" - Healthy batch of 16 1-month-old Black Mollies. They were born of one of the 4 Black Mollies I pulled from a PETCO tank that - not one week later - was ravaged by Ich. All 4 of the adults eventually succumb to their poor health brought on by their stay at PETCO, but their progeny is thriving [they'll follow you around the tank!])

ANYWAYS - This entire biotope is much, much smaller than the picture. To give you a frame of reference - that piece of zucchini is smaller than my Pointer Finger from the tip to the 2nd knuckle.

Attachments

• One of These.jpg
    One of These.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 104
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom