Show off your catfish and pleco photos here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My be spotted Raphael cat. Don't worry the 55g will be set up soon
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407040521.760424.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

how big will the black tip get?

I hate my pleco. He eats my plants!

And I Cant get him! Tank is too big...

He is full grown and very happy we have had him for almost 5 years :) he will even eat out of our hands :)

If that Silver tipped catfish has stopped growing, it's because his growth has been stunted. Given the appropriate sized (huge) tank, with frequent water changes and brackish to full salt water in adulthood, he would have got to twice that size.
In that small tank he doesn't have the room to engage in his natural foraging behaviours. Eating from your hand doesn't indicate that he's happy. He lives to eat- that's why he has such a huge mouth.

Ok well I guess that's your opinion but I've had him for 5 years and he is great happy swims a lot and yes he does have salt.

Ok well I guess that's your opinion but I've had him for 5 years and he is great happy swims a lot and yes he does have salt.

It's not my personal opinion. Nor is it my personal opinion that he should live another 10 years.
My personal opinion is that any fish that grows above 1ft long at adulthood doesn't belong in home aquaria and should require a licence to keep.

Thank you I seen him looking all sad at my lfs and had to give him a home. I love catfish of all kind and luckily these guys stay small enough to keep :) once my larger tank is established I hope to add a friend for him in the shape of a striped Rafael

It's not my personal opinion. Nor is it my personal opinion that he should live another 10 years.
My personal opinion is that any fish that grows above 1ft long at adulthood doesn't belong in home aquaria and should require a licence to keep.

I agreed with you until you said a fish above 1 ft long shouldnt be in home aquaria. My adonis pleco has been living comfortably in my 125.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yea I think regardless of the size of fish if it has adequate space to move around hide etc then it's ok. A lot of placos will reach well over 1ft. My pops had one that was 32inches

I also have 3 saltwater water tanks one being 200G so I do know what I'm doing. He is my only fish in that tank has been for years and he is so happy and awesome so it's all good not really here to care what negative people have to say.

Ultimately it's your pet. You will are paying for him. If he is eating and not showing any signs of stress then I see no issue. It's like keeping a snake. You can keep a large snake I a fairly small enclosure and ITT is just fine. Not like your keeping a red tail car in there.

Hope you can fatten this sucker up! He's looking a bit skinny :)

He is still young, I fed him as soon as we got home and got him acclimated. He devoured the pellets and then I fed him again that night and again he devoured the pellets. We shall see how he grows.

He is still young, I fed him as soon as we got home and got him acclimated. He devoured the pellets and then I fed him again that night and again he devoured the pellets. We shall see how he grows.

Awesome I love those guys! He will fatten up in no time :)

Yea just don't want him to fatten up too soon as it's going to be about 3 months until my big tank is set up

Back
Top Bottom