Show off your discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gorgeous fish arakyd!!! And an even more beautiful tank!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks dubs. I am surprised how fun they are. They have their own personalities. I watch the tank more than the television now!

I take care of a bunch at a lfs and I've realized the bigger they are the less difficult they're. The little guys need perfect water while the big guys are much more tolerant
They are much easier too keep once the become adults, juvenile's are much more problematic, once they reach the size 8cm more or less they are fine and easy too keep.

IMG_1898.jpg

Here is a photo of my tank, this an old photo will post a newer one tomorrow when the tank is switched on. :)

Thanks shellyx, many think that Discus are very difficult to keep, but unfortunately its all lies.

Actually I have two more I didn't post.

Lies…it's the truth!

I have a 45G discus tank. Lots of water changing.

BTW, your fish are very good quality. Did you get them from Kenny?

Lies…it's the truth!

I have a 45G discus tank. Lots of water changing.

BTW, your fish are very good quality. Did you get them from Kenny?

They are not difficult to keep, just a couple of 30% water changes a week and its enough. People don't realise that if you do many water changes (like daily) causes a huge amount of stress on discus, you could have perfect quality water but stressed fish. You need to be very careful, you may think that you are doing them a favour and your not. Test you water every other day if the nitrates are down why a water change.

Its also important to have some peat or almond leaves in ur tank all time as this will help in lowering the hardness and PH.

My Discus are European breed as I am from Europe, they high quality discus not show quality yet, but getting there.

I love my discus I want him to have a buddy.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1396760397657.jpg
    1396760397657.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 88
They are not difficult to keep, just a couple of 30% water changes a week and its enough. People don't realise that if you do many water changes (like daily) causes a huge amount of stress on discus, you could have perfect quality water but stressed fish. You need to be very careful, you may think that you are doing them a favour and your not. Test you water every other day if the nitrates are down why a water change.

Its also important to have some peat or almond leaves in ur tank all time as this will help in lowering the hardness and PH.

My Discus are European breed as I am from Europe, they high quality discus not show quality yet, but getting there.

Not only am I going to disagree, but I'm going to tell you that you're absolutely WRONG when it comes to your "theory" of water changes. While 30% may be okay for well established adults, young Discus need many WC's and it in no way will stress them. After all, they live in FRESHWATER rivers that move. Not stagnant ponds. Preferably 2, 3, or even 4 times per day. This is the only way for them to reach their maximum potential of 6" and larger. If you ask any true Discus hobbyist, they will tell you the same thing. Yours appear to be in the 3.5" range and without good WC's, DAILY, they will remain stunted and not capable of reaching their full potential.

In regards to almond leaves, there happen to be a few varieties of them that are absolutely POISONOUS to Discus. So make sure your suggestions to include these in a tank list the proper species of such.

Also, it really doesn't matter where you are from in regards to what "breed" of Discus you choose to keep. I'm in the USA and my fish come from Malaysia. Forrest ships them to Kenny, and Kenny ships them to me. Discus Hans sells Stendker lines. He imports them to the USA and sells them to many people.

I would suggest you do a bit more research in PROPER husbandry of Discus before you go passing around more bad info.

And an after thought to my above post now that I've calmed down a bit. Discus can not only survive but they will thrive in just about ANY water. The fact is that you needs to keep parameters consistent !!! The lower hardness level is better for chances at mating and having successful hatch rates. Ammonia and nitrITes need to be absolute zero and nitrAtes can be as high as 10 and you will still have happy Discus.

I have talked to many people at lfs who have kept discus for themselves and one has kept them for over 20 years!!!! He has tried everything, from 50% wcs a day to ten percents every two weeks. He said what he now does with the discus in his store (which are in a show tank with plants and driftwood and the look stunning and 3") is a twenty five percent wc every week.

My discus tank came down with columnaris and I lost 4 discus. When I asked him where I went wrong, he said. There's 5 main things that need to be perfect to keep beautiful healthy discus.
Water Quality
pH
Hardness
Nutrient concentration
Tank mates

Water Quality- obviously its the basic ammonia nitrates and nitrite, discus are sensitive fish and need perfect water.

pH- he told me pH is important because your fish will be more comfortable, they can be raised in higher, but they will be more colorful and active.

Hardness- same thing as pH. They can be raised in hard, but soft is best. The softer, the better.

Nutrient concentration- discus absorbe nutrients through there skin to produce their infamous slime coat. With out those natural nutrients they won't be as happy and more susceptible to disease. He recommended plants and a product called discus code. I have ordered some but have yet to try it.

Tank mates- He thinks the main reason why my tank crashed was because of the fish I had in with the discus. I had neon tetras, harliquen rasboas, Siamese algea eaters, etc. He said that unorganized movement stresses out discus and to limit yourself to one school of either cardinal or rummy nose tetras.

This is the advice I am currently following and I will give a report back in a few weeks to let you guys know what's going on. I've talked to three lfs owners and they all pretty much repeated each other. Lets not judge anyone because every tank is different and what they do could work for them great and be terrible for someone else.

I have talked to many people at lfs who have kept discus for themselves and one has kept them for over 20 years!!!! He has tried everything, from 50% wcs a day to ten percents every two weeks. He said what he now does with the discus in his store (which are in a show tank with plants and driftwood and the look stunning and 3") is a twenty five percent wc every week.

My discus tank came down with columnaris and I lost 4 discus. When I asked him where I went wrong, he said. There's 5 main things that need to be perfect to keep beautiful healthy discus.
Water Quality
pH
Hardness
Nutrient concentration
Tank mates

Water Quality- obviously its the basic ammonia nitrates and nitrite, discus are sensitive fish and need perfect water.

pH- he told me pH is important because your fish will be more comfortable, they can be raised in higher, but they will be more colorful and active.

Hardness- same thing as pH. They can be raised in hard, but soft is best. The softer, the better.

Nutrient concentration- discus absorbe nutrients through there skin to produce their infamous slime coat. With out those natural nutrients they won't be as happy and more susceptible to disease. He recommended plants and a product called discus code. I have ordered some but have yet to try it.

Tank mates- He thinks the main reason why my tank crashed was because of the fish I had in with the discus. I had neon tetras, harliquen rasboas, Siamese algea eaters, etc. He said that unorganized movement stresses out discus and to limit yourself to one school of either cardinal or rummy nose tetras.

This is the advice I am currently following and I will give a report back in a few weeks to let you guys know what's going on. I've talked to three lfs owners and they all pretty much repeated each other. Lets not judge anyone because every tank is different and what they do could work for them great and be terrible for someone else.

Okay, here it goes. First of all, I never believe anyone from an LFS !!!! They are there to tell you what you want to hear AND they are there to sell you stuff you don't need. BOTTOM LINE. It's a way of separating you from your hard earned money. And it obviously worked on you. As far as his Discus in a show tank, with only 25% WC's every week, they (unfortunately) will remain stunted at 3" and never reach their full potential. Very disheartening I might add.

Then you go on to say that your Discus came down with columnaris and you lost 4 Discus. Well sorry to hear but know that you've learned, it could've been prevented. As far as you asking what went wrong and then his explanation about what they need, doesn't explain your bacteria issue.

Now, pH and hardness is part of water quality and as far as being more colorful and active, I call BS without even blinking. Yes, the softer the water the better. I believe I did say that before as well.

And on to the fun stuff "Nutrient Concentration". It already sounds like you're trying to sell something I don't need and won't use. Please explain to me the part again about "natural nutrients" because there is nothing "natural" in tank bred, domestic Discus. Plants, yes I can see that. But not even with wilds could I see any of that crap being put into someone's tank. Bringing me back to the "money separator" claim. You might as well go out and buy bottled purified water because that's all your getting. If it's not too late, cancel the order and get your money back.

Now on to the really fun part. "He thinks" is always a fun one for me. I'll tell ya right now it had nothing to do with unorganized movement. It was the columnaris (among other things) that you pointed out. It's a bacteria. It's found where high bioloads are present or where stressful conditions from overcrowding or low dissolved oxygen levels. What it boils down to is this. Besides having too many fish, the wrong fish as neons and SAE's are a poor choice since they (SAE's) will attach to Discus and suck off their slime coat causing a pathway for disease. And, probably not enough water changes often enough to keep the bioloads down on your overstocked tank. All because you didn't do enough research h before you saw these really awesome looking fish and just had to have them.

Now my question to you is how come there's been no mention from the local "pros" at your LFS's about QT ? That's probably THE most important step that has been omitted and this is my problem with the LFS. The most basic of steps is often so overlooked it's not funny. And it's actually been overlooked by your three experts and you.

Do me a favor please and do some more research. This time not at the LFS. It will benefit both you and the fish.

Hello every one . I am trying to establish a discus and cichlid tank. Am in lahore pakistan. We dont have water testing kits here. So we go by the weekly 50 % change method.
Have bought 4 discus . I would reaaly appreciate all the help i can get i establishing a yellow lab cichlid plus discus tank.

Have a 30 gallon tank. Plan on reducing most of the cichlids if the discus settle in. .....

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oops i forgot to add pics so here they are

Attachments

• 1396903545630.jpg
    1396903545630.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 1396903575458.jpg
    1396903575458.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 99
  • 1396903653772.jpg
    1396903653772.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 85
Some more pics

Attachments

• 1396909356453.jpg
    1396909356453.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 1396909392189.jpg
    1396909392189.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 1396909431495.jpg
    1396909431495.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 68
Hello every one . I am trying to establish a discus and cichlid tank. Am in lahore pakistan. We dont have water testing kits here. So we go by the weekly 50 % change method.
Have bought 4 discus . I would reaaly appreciate all the help i can get i establishing a yellow lab cichlid plus discus tank.

Have a 30 gallon tank. Plan on reducing most of the cichlids if the discus settle in. .....

What you forgot to mention was you bought these 4 after the first 2 died and you have no clue why they died but just ran out, got more and dumped them in a tank that may have an existing problem. For starters, if you really want to learn, you should follow the advice on your other thread.

Dude u gave no advice. U know talked bout gizmos. Dont try to kill this hobby.

Back
Top Bottom