Some pictures I'd like to share of my Africans.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, alright, I'll have a look! I am silly and completely missed that you said "in the gallery".

Oh, alright, I'll have a look! I am silly and completely missed that you said "in the gallery".
Hi Nick,
I just posted 4 new pics. in the Gallery of my other 55 gallon Tank
Both are Freshwater, But the second tank is for the "free fish".
They are small now but they can get up to 14 inches.

WendiDell said:
I just started my first African Cichlid tank 9 months ago. They are a very special breed. I would miss mine if I had give them up.
May you some day have the chance to have more African Cichlids.
I loved the pics., thank you for sharing

Just started mine about 3 months ago and they are truly beautiful. I would sit in front of my cichlid tank for hours and not get tired of watching them.

Just started mine about 3 months ago and they are truly beautiful. I would sit in front of my cichlid tank for hours and not get tired of watching them.
I am now suffering from Tank envy. Yours is bigger than mine.
I would love to have a 75 gallon Cichlid Tank
Your Cichlids are really beautiful.

WendiDell said:
I am now suffering from Tank envy. Yours is bigger than mine.
I would love to have a 75 gallon Cichlid Tank
Your Cichlids are really beautiful.

Thanks, I'm sure your cichlids are as beautiful too! Eventually I will need to upgrade to a 125 gallon one when they get bigger or when it starts to get crowded in there.

Awesome rockwork. I never liked the stacked slate look of many cichlid tanks...no offense to some members on this board :)

Thanks, I'm sure your cichlids are as beautiful too! Eventually I will need to upgrade to a 125 gallon one when they get bigger or when it starts to get crowded in there.

Thank you, I think my Cichlids are beautiful. But they are getting old enough to fight each other for a breeding spot. I have more places to hide and call their own than I have Cichlids, but for some idiotic reason they all want the same spot. They can, and have done some real damage to each other.Their wide mouths really grab hold and just shred each other.
I didn't want to just stack big rocks in my tank. I like color, so I used colorful plants and caves and a few rocks to isolate section of my tank. I have 4 males and 10 caves for them to call their own, they still fight on occasion. Which is why I would like at least a 100-120 gallon tank. But just the tank and stand without all the stuff is about $1500.00. Then add all the rest and it's another $800.00-$1000.00. A little out of my price range these days.
So they are stuck where they are for now. And I will do daily PWC to keep their water healthy.

WendiDell said:
Thank you, I think my Cichlids are beautiful. But they are getting old enough to fight each other for a breeding spot. I have more places to hide and call their own than I have Cichlids, but for some idiotic reason they all want the same spot. They can, and have done some real damage to each other.Their wide mouths really grab hold and just shred each other.
I didn't want to just stack big rocks in my tank. I like color, so I used colorful plants and caves and a few rocks to isolate section of my tank. I have 4 males and 10 caves for them to call their own, they still fight on occasion.

Hopefully I will not have problems like that. I think I have all males except for the electric yellow lab that is holding according to some of the members that have seen the picture.

Hopefully I will not have problems like that. I think I have all males except for the electric yellow lab that is holding according to some of the members that have seen the picture.

UMM, everything I've researched about Cichlids says that the males are violently territorial and that they each require a small harem or they will end up fighting. The Red Zebras are supposed to be the most territorial and will fight to the death.:zook:
My Red Zebra (Sonny) and my Cobalt Zebra (Marty) got in to it so bad I had to put them in their own tanks for a week to stop them from killing each other and to let them heal.
That's when I redesigned my tank to have 10, what my grandson calls hidey holes, each with a camouflaged entrance and exit to get away from each other. And I'm in the process of adding more females to the group to decrease the hostilities.
They all got along great for the first 8 months. Then one by one they began moving the gravel around the tank with their mouths. They would make holes down to the glass and little mountains all around. It was weird, next thing I know they're trying to kill each other. Turned out that Sonny wanted that spot in the tank and Marty wanted the cave. When I moved the cave to the other side of the tank Sonny went into the new cave on the old spot and Marty went in the old cave on the new spot and peace reigns again. As I said, it was weird but, it worked.:crazyeyes:
So watch out for moving rocks. And get yourself some girls.
Lots of luck

I found this picture while doing research. It's a great close up of a Cichlids mouth. It's a bit of a shock, but you will see why a Cichlid can do some major damage to another fish.
I thought you may find it useful.
On a more positive note, I also found this picture of a female Red Zebra Cichlid. This is a great picture of what they look like carrying their eggs.
It's unmistakable, isn't it? It looks really uncomfortable.

WendiDell said:
I found this picture while doing research. It's a great close up of a Cichlids mouth. It's a bit of a shock, but you will see why a Cichlid can do some major damage to another fish.

If I were a fish I surely don't want to be at the receiving end of those teeth. LOL!

If I were a fish I surely don't want to be at the receiving end of those teeth. LOL!
Ain't that the truth. Those are some scary teeth.
I was amazed how badly my male Cichlids, Sonny & Marty, damaged each other. And they did it in a blink of an eye. But when I saw that picture I was surprised they survived the fight at all.

Back
Top Bottom