Someone say Apisto?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is the cac wild and the agassizii tank bred? The cac is really cool but surely they should be left in the wild is the temperament different? I had a convo at work with a couple of the fellas about wild and tank bred because we got on talking about tangs being put in small tanks and the arguement was they wouldn't know any different because they have always been in a tank even though in the wild they would need open water fish

Yes the aggies are a tank strain and the cacs are the wild form. The temperments are the same and if they could make the decision, I'm sure they would choose life in a tank over the cruelty of nature, with all of the predators, competition for food/ territory and unsavory water conditions during the dry season. Even in the wild apistos only occupy small territories, even though the water they come from may be quite large at times there are lots of them in the water all claiming their own chunk. Male apistos in the wild usually don't claim more than a sq yard of territory anyway and he can fit quite a few females in that space.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hiya fellas I know it's been a while so I will bring you up to date, so you know how my original male cac died and I bought a replacement well....... Looks like the female had killed him so I flushed it as you do and never thought any more about it and then she disappeared everything seemed to be fine so I thought maybe it was stress or something so I looked round the tank looked behind incase she had jumped nothing so then thought Cory's got her before me so I started talking to this guy who had a load of fire red aggies he said I could have a pair because I was really gutted that I lost the 2 cacs, I but them in my tank with loads of coconut caves, rocks, almond leaves, plants they loved it so I have came in from work today and it looks like the male aggy has paired up with my female cac I have no idea where she has come from but he came out of the cave and she followed this surely cannot be normal, my question is have they ever known it to happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hey dave! So she was in hiding this whole time?? I'm not sure if they can breed or not?? My female cac runs around with the male panduro sometimes and I've witnessed them doing some rather odd dances where she goes vertical and he kind of nips at her underside?? It looks crazy when they do it..see they flaring fins? How's her color?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

She ain't canary yellow but she is displaying like crazy totally different to anything I have ever seen

That Cory is huge or that apisto is tiny haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The cac and aggie won't cross and she may actually end up saving the life of the female aggie. Males tend to be quite hard on the females so they aren't good pair fish, but the female cac may help distract him from the female and help spread the aggression.
Here's a couple pics of my old ones

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1407268585090.jpg
    1407268585090.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 1407268595210.jpg
    1407268595210.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 1407268605788.jpg
    1407268605788.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 47
Yeah the male chases everything that swims near it cave or if the are with in an inch of him

Back
Top Bottom