Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-29-2014, 08:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Something is wrong with my camera!

Compare these two images:

Question: What's different about them?
Both were taken in landscape mode using an iPhone 5S. I set the bottom site grid to match the bottom rim of the tank. The first one was taken with the Home button on the right side and the volume buttons down. The second was taken with the Home button on the left side and the volume buttons up.
Answer: The latter causes an image distortion in which the right side of the image is vertically "compressed" and slightly shifted to the right. Could be a problem with the lens or ocular.
I take about 95% of pics and videos with the latter orientation. I was reviewing some images and videos and kept wondering why everything was "crooked". "Can't I hold a camera straight?"...I wondered to myself. After over a thousand pics you'd think I'd notice this sooner. But a lot of them are not images of perfect rectangles (such as my aquarium) but of scenery, people, products in stores, selfies, UFOs, Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monsters, etc.
Not sure how (phone wise) to correct this. Not eligible for an upgrade anytime soon. Maybe I can get an exchange on it. Until then, I need to train myself to take pics like I did in the first pic.
Learn something new everyday!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 08-29-2014, 09:25 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's bizarre huh? You'd think apple could get its optics in line heh.. as a firm believer in big foot and all creatures mystical, I hereby deem the 5s un fit for credible pictures of anything mystical or awesome.
Surely they will address this issue in the apple store?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 08-29-2014, 10:28 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hahaha don't forget mermaids....I saw one once...I think!

Old 08-29-2014, 11:41 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

if there were something wrong with the optics you would have the same distortion regardless of the camera's orientation.

It simply looks to me as if the angle that the camera was pointing is slightly different between the two.

but then again, it is an Apple product........
Old 08-29-2014, 12:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

An alternative solution would be to use an actual camera instead of a cell phone
Old 08-29-2014, 03:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
An alternative solution would be to use an actual camera instead of a cell phone

Very true. I do have 3 digital cameras (one SLR I think). Those are my wife's cameras and I know squat besides selecting a scene and pushing a button.
The convenience of taking a shot, doing an edit/upload and peruse this site in one device is appealing. But there are other devices as PB alluded to.

Tags
camera

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com