Starfish Stomach eats cleaner crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redchick2

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi,

Just wanted to share this pic. It seems chocolate chip starfish really enjoy peppermint shrimp for a snack. Their preference seems to be the one just bought 1 hr prior that think starfish will be a nice, safe place to hide. <groan> This picture captures the starfishes ejected stomach as it devours the shrimp.

thanks,
Renea

Attachments

• DSCF0240.jpg
    DSCF0240.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 155
  • DSCF0248.jpg
    DSCF0248.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 120
Since this is my practice tank, I didn't lose much money. It really was interesting to watch though....

It`s really hard to believe a starfish caught a shrimp. Was the shrimp already dead?

It wasn't quite dead, but even though I tried to acclimate it for about an hour, it was really shocky when I put it in and tried to hide under the starfish..

Inverts should be acclimated longer, since they are less tolerant to parameter swings.
Did you use the drip method?
Nice shots, by the way.

<blush> the drip method was my intention... this aquarium is teaching me new things allready, like patience (which I lack) will be very necessary if I want to progress to a larger, more complex tank. The shrimp is a lesson learned the hard way....

Carnivorous stars definitely have voracious appetites. I found my Bahama star munching on one of my octopuses it had apparently trapped in a hole. The octo would take its food into holes to eat. I had seen the starfish try to climb on top of the octopus several times while the octopus was eating. I never would have believe it possible for something as "brainless" as a starfish to kill an octopus.

I was wrong.

Bahama Stars make pretty neat frisbees.

Just kidding. I traded it in at a store. But I wanted to use it as a dog toy.

Back
Top Bottom