Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-17-2004, 06:41 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Storage

What do you use to store your photos on? Any brand of media that offers the most longevity with the best price? With the larger MP cams out there I can see RAW and TIFF files eating up a hard drive quick, I have CD-R/RW, any serious issues with storing them on CD if in 5 years I want to look at them again?

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 06:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Depends on the brand, and there in the quality.

Research has proven that most commonly purchased CD-R and CD-RW won't last 18 months [ Meaning, that after 18 months the disk degrades to the point to being unreadable ].

If you want long term storage, and can afford a little extra... I would really suggest something like a external harddrive.

Hard drives do not degrade, they maintain their electromagnetic signature [ What they use to write to the disks inside ] almost indefinately, baring any outside magnetic radiation.

CD media is fine for short term data trafficing and storage, but long term really requires something more stable.

Old 04-17-2004, 07:10 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
that most commonly purchased CD-R and CD-RW
Which is why I'm asking, obviously the spindles that you pick up at wallyworld @ 100 for 30.00, are not gonna last, but for long term storage, but there should be some quality CDs out there that have better longevity, the uncommonly purchased ones I think external hard drives are a little expensive. I mean, I just ebayed a 40 gig external hard drive and that will only hold 3150 photos at 13 mb per, some of your other DSLR cams (which I am still seriously trying to talk the wife into in a year or two) files can be larger than that. If I am taking some serious pics....that space can be eaten up pretty quick.

Don't get me wrong, I think they are great and plan on doing one or two, but I can't see purchasing one every 6 or so months, and god help me if I drop it Obviously rudundancy is the way to go there, it just seems there should be a better option. What about zip drives and disks?

Old 04-17-2004, 07:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with hard drive.
RogerMcAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 07:42 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

LOL, the question was for the best mix of longevity and price If it is your opinion that is the best mix, then so be it.

Please feel free to uphold that opinion when your married with 4 kids and have a wife looking at you crosseyed when you start talking about more purchases for another god forsaken expensive hobby...

Old 04-17-2004, 08:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrunner69
Quote:
that most commonly purchased CD-R and CD-RW
Which is why I'm asking, obviously the spindles that you pick up at wallyworld @ 100 for 30.00, are not gonna last, but for long term storage, but there should be some quality CDs out there that have better longevity, the uncommonly purchased ones I think external hard drives are a little expensive. I mean, I just ebayed a 40 gig external hard drive and that will only hold 3150 photos at 13 mb per, some of your other DSLR cams (which I am still seriously trying to talk the wife into in a year or two) files can be larger than that. If I am taking some serious pics....that space can be eaten up pretty quick.

Don't get me wrong, I think they are great and plan on doing one or two, but I can't see purchasing one every 6 or so months, and god help me if I drop it Obviously rudundancy is the way to go there, it just seems there should be a better option. What about zip drives and disks?

Sorry, when I say common I ment like Memorex [ Reasonably high quality ].

Not the dirt cheap discount disk.

EDIT

and Reef, if your comfortable with opening your computer, go to www.newegg.com and watch their returns/refurbished section for high capacity harddrives.

I've seen 250gig refurbs for 100-150 bucks.

Just stick it into your PC once a month, copy what you want over to it, then unhook it and place it back in its static bag and put it under your bed.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:07 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Not to be sour but drives fail. I have seen my share.

I would not use CD-RW media. CD-RW media by their very nature is more unstable than CD-R media. I have not seen the studies that William mentions but I dont doubt that they exist. In fact I myself would not trust CD-R media for archiving purposes beyond a few years.

Not sure what the archival life is on those ROM memory chips. U konw those USB memory devices. I think they have some kind of battery in them so my guess would be that they would work till the battery died and then all the data would be lost on them aswell.

Low cost long term storage (ie 5+ years) is a bit hard to come by. As optical storage devices come down in price they might be an attractive alternitive. Until then I would say CD-R or even DVD-R or DVD+R disks and then refresh them on an annual basis.

If you do a hard drive route then I would mirror two disks so if one failed the other still has your data and then you just replace the failed disk and mirror the surviving disk onto the new disk to keep the mirror up and running.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 10:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, to be honest fish freak, EVERYTHING fails.

Theres nothing that is 100% perfect operational time.

However, a good HDD, pound for pound, is a more reliable, reusable storage medium then any type of Optical Medium.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:50 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I repair several computers a week and I have seen many hard drives fail. The three brands we use are Fujitsu, Maxtor, and Western Digital. Of those three the Western Digital are the most reliable, with the Maxtors being the mid range and Fujitsu being of lowest quality. This is based off of the quantity we sell and the quantity that have been returned. Ironically Fujitsu has the shortest warranty of the three vendors. Keep in mind these are not desktop computers but industral computers many installed in extreme conditions.
As we tell all our customers and anyone who uses computers already knows multiple backup copies are best. But if you are on a budget consider saving only your favorite fotos in high resolution and reducing the resolution for the rest. If you are doing this for studio work you just need to work the cost of storage into the customers cost.
1-225gal \ 1 60gal hex \ 17-20gal \ 7-10gal in storage
fish_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 11:25 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to alrmc4
isn't there any storage places that you can load them and leave them online for a fee?

http://www.shutterbugs-gallery.com/forum/portal.php
alrmc4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com