Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-13-2003, 06:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Suggestions on my Cichlid setup

I have kept a reef tank, Anenome tank and F/W plant tanks. Now I am going to try African Cichlids.
But I really would like to do this right the first time. I just shut down a 55 gal. F/W tank, and plan on making it an African Cichlid tank with Lake Malawi Cichlids.
This is what I have planned and would appreciate your comments and suggestions.
I am going with a 3"- 4" sand bed, My LFS has large rocks for Cichlid's, not sure what type. I will have an egg crate under the sand to support the rock.
I am going to place live plants (Anabus, Vals. & Cichlid grass.) I have glass tops and will be using flourecent bulbs.
Need to know what type is reccomended. I have a 404 Fluval filter, I also have 303 If needed for this tank. I have a tap water purifier and an R/O unit. Which would be better for this tank? (well water)I have read about using a power head to create water movement.
What size power head? I prefer Hagan Aqua Clear, and where should this be placed in the tank?
Would an air pump be needed for anything other then for looks?
I plan on keeping an Electric Blue Ahli, Electric Yellow, Cobalt Blue Zebra, Kenyi Cichlid & a Pleco (Later as needed). How many of these fish should I keep?

If I missed anything please let me know.
Thanks John

75 gal. Reef & 30 gal. Anemone Tanks.

I get paid for what I may have to do, Not for what I do!
EMS503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 04:17 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Need to know what type is reccomended. I have a 404 Fluval filter, I also have 303 If needed for this tank.
I think the 404 will be enough, but it will really depend on the number of cichlids you put in. Personally in a 55 I'd put in a couple of pair and some dither fish like lampeyes or anything fast, although enough cichlids will dither themselves but you'll have to be careful of interpecies breeding.

Quote:
I have a tap water purifier and an R/O unit. Which would be better for this tank? (well water)
Unless I am mistaking Lake Malawi has a ph of approx 8.3, Malawis will be happy and breed anywhere from about 7.5-7.5.

Quote:
I have read about using a power head to create water movement.
What size power head? I prefer Hagan Aqua Clear, and where should this be placed in the tank?
I'm partial to the maxijets myself, but Hagens are a close second , I would probably use a couple and place them like you would for your reef.

Quote:
Would an air pump be needed for anything other then for looks?
Nope, and you might find that the fish attack the airline and the bubbles.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 05:00 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
If you run the water through the RO, you'll need one of the African Cichlid buffers to bring the hardness and pH up to spec. If not, you'll still probably want to buffer it some. I believe Seachem (might be Kent) makes a product called African Cichlid Salt that has mixing tables on the back for each of the Rift lakes. As Kevin said, the water needs to be 8.2-8.3 and very hard. Giant Danios make good dither fish for a cichlid tank.
Old 06-17-2003, 05:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to hisc1ay Send a message via Yahoo to hisc1ay
what's a dither fish?

I'm gonna be reading this thread because I want to do this with my 20.

-j
Old 06-17-2003, 06:01 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
what's a dither fish?

http://www.theaquarians.net/Articles...ither_fish.htm

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cichlid, ich, setup, suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com