Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-09-2015, 03:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Tank setup

Here is a pic of my setup, yet to add fish. I've 29g and 20g L. My plan is to connect both using a 4" acrylic tube (aquarium bride). This setup has Diy stands, sponge filter and k1 fluid bed bio filter along with 2 hob filters. I've as well ordered led strips for a diy lighting. I'll add the updated pics once my fishes are in

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1423508382174.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	263816  

Old 02-09-2015, 03:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just wondering, why acrylic tubing? If you want to increase water volume, pvc would work just as well. The only reason I can see using acrylic would be a fish tunnel.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Exactly that's the purpose. I want to see the fish travel between tanks and not just for water flow.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ooohh this is going to be interesting! Make sure you take vids if you seem em goin through! I remember watch one of these on a cichlid tank, it was pretty sick.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sure will do. I'm equally interested in fish keeping as well diy. And there are a bunch of videos in YouTube. In any case I'll upload mine once ready.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Perhaps the pic is deceptive but it appears as they are not the same height. As well, unless you're keeping fish only recommended for the smaller tank, I think it's a problem in the making. 4" in length or diameter ? Primary issue that comes to mind foremost is how will you seal the acrylic and glass ?

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!
Old 02-09-2015, 04:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yep pic is not perfect. But both are at same height. And the tube is 4" in diameter and 2 feet long. The tube will be suspended above the tank, planning to have 45 degree PVC connector which will be connected to another 1 foot clear plastic tube on either side (made 2 tubes out of 2 12-1/2 inches tall spaghetti canisters). These canisters will connect to the PVC connector and submerged into the tanks on both sides.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:01 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Attached my layout. It shows 90 degree connector, but planning to use 45 angle. The bottom line is to move water from one tank to another, so that the water will move thru the bridge to level off both tanks. Also, I'm going to run it in 15 mins interval. This will enable the fish to use the bridge when there is no flow or perhaps some might move thru the flow.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1423515384050.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	263825  
Old 02-09-2015, 06:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Something I would do would be to attach another 45 degree connector to the bottom so the fish can swim straight in originally and be able to look up so they will be less nervous about it rather than having to swim in a 45 degree first. It would look like this.

****_______
___/*******\____

Rather than
*_____
/*****\

(astericks are there for spacing only)
Old 02-09-2015, 07:40 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by icydeath View Post
Something I would do would be to attach another 45 degree connector to the bottom so the fish can swim straight in originally and be able to look up so they will be less nervous about it rather than having to swim in a 45 degree first. It would look like this.

****_______
___/*******\____

Rather than
*_____
/*****\

(astericks are there for spacing only)
Thanks a good idea. I'll think about that. Perhaps the length of the tank might be a limiting factor. On the other hand, I originally thought 45 d angle might be a better option than the 90 d. Now, that you got me thinking I feel that long slope could be an issue. What about the 90d, it is like normally fish going up and down?!

Tags
setup, tan, tank, tank setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com