Tank setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThangaMean

Aquarium Advice Activist
Here is a pic of my setup, yet to add fish. I've 29g and 20g L. My plan is to connect both using a 4" acrylic tube (aquarium bride). This setup has Diy stands, sponge filter and k1 fluid bed bio filter along with 2 hob filters. I've as well ordered led strips for a diy lighting. I'll add the updated pics once my fishes are in :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1423508382174.jpg
    1423508382174.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 171
Just wondering, why acrylic tubing? If you want to increase water volume, pvc would work just as well. The only reason I can see using acrylic would be a fish tunnel.

Exactly that's the purpose. I want to see the fish travel between tanks and not just for water flow.

Ooohh this is going to be interesting! Make sure you take vids if you seem em goin through! I remember watch one of these on a cichlid tank, it was pretty sick.

Sure will do. I'm equally interested in fish keeping as well diy. And there are a bunch of videos in YouTube. In any case I'll upload mine once ready.

Perhaps the pic is deceptive but it appears as they are not the same height. As well, unless you're keeping fish only recommended for the smaller tank, I think it's a problem in the making. 4" in length or diameter ? Primary issue that comes to mind foremost is how will you seal the acrylic and glass ?

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Yep pic is not perfect. But both are at same height. And the tube is 4" in diameter and 2 feet long. The tube will be suspended above the tank, planning to have 45 degree PVC connector which will be connected to another 1 foot clear plastic tube on either side (made 2 tubes out of 2 12-1/2 inches tall spaghetti canisters). These canisters will connect to the PVC connector and submerged into the tanks on both sides.

Attached my layout. It shows 90 degree connector, but planning to use 45 angle. The bottom line is to move water from one tank to another, so that the water will move thru the bridge to level off both tanks. Also, I'm going to run it in 15 mins interval. This will enable the fish to use the bridge when there is no flow or perhaps some might move thru the flow.

Attachments

• 1423515384050.jpg
    1423515384050.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 145
Something I would do would be to attach another 45 degree connector to the bottom so the fish can swim straight in originally and be able to look up so they will be less nervous about it rather than having to swim in a 45 degree first. It would look like this.

****_______
___/*******\____

Rather than
*_____
/*****\

(astericks are there for spacing only)

Something I would do would be to attach another 45 degree connector to the bottom so the fish can swim straight in originally and be able to look up so they will be less nervous about it rather than having to swim in a 45 degree first. It would look like this.

****_______
___/*******\____

Rather than
*_____
/*****\

(astericks are there for spacing only)
Thanks a good idea. I'll think about that. Perhaps the length of the tank might be a limiting factor. On the other hand, I originally thought 45 d angle might be a better option than the 90 d. Now, that you got me thinking I feel that long slope could be an issue. What about the 90d, it is like normally fish going up and down?!

I posted more details below. Could you please check and let me know if you still see this design as an issue. If it is, could you please explain why? specifically to the point that the smaller 20G L would be the deciding/limiting factor. I'm here to learn and improve myself, so I'm open to any suggestions/comments. Thanks for your time.

You don't need the slope to be long haha

I don't see why the elbows have to touch the bottom, you can let them be suspended.

If I understand correctly, you say the tube is going to be ABOVE the tank for the fish to swim between both tanks ?

If I understand correctly, you say the tube is going to be ABOVE the tank for the fish to swim between both tanks ?

When I read the first post, I was thinking it would connect the tanks BELOW the water level using large bulkhead fittings.
Actually, it looks like a large siphon between the tank. Water changes might be interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You are right Fresh, it is a huge siphon so they would only be able to change water till the highest opening on the tube. Thus it is beneficial to have it about half way down on both tanks so you can do a jointed 50% change if necessary. The cool thing is the water will drop equally on both sides until the siphon is broken.

Something I would do for flow would be to have pvc connect both tanks around the back and have a powerhead on one side so the water moves through the pvc and back with the acrylic tube.

Yes the tube will be above the tank level, hence when fish goes thru the tube it looks cool. Also, this setup will only be there as long as the fish can safely pass thru. Once it is too big then will switch to a bigger setup.

You are right Fresh, it is a huge siphon so they would only be able to change water till the highest opening on the tube. Thus it is beneficial to have it about half way down on both tanks so you can do a jointed 50% change if necessary. The cool thing is the water will drop equally on both sides until the siphon is broken.

Something I would do for flow would be to have pvc connect both tanks around the back and have a powerhead on one side so the water moves through the pvc and back with the acrylic tube.
Yes I've the setup for the waterflow as well. I've a sponge filter with a pvc setup currently running. I'll move this to the 20G and push the water to the 29G. And the bridge will automatically siphon and equalize it. This helps in avoiding stagnant water inside the tube. Also, I'm planning to setup a timer to run 15 mins interval so that there is a quite period if it all it is needed for the fish to swim thru safely. (that's my thinking, but why would a fish hesitate to swim thru/with the current :) )

Fish In

Finally, I got my Orandas last sunday and I'm currently keeping them in QT. I use .3% aquarium salt for the past 5 days. Also, I started using Prazipro for the last 3 days. Today is the 3rd day. For the next 2 days (sat and sun) will not add PP and just change water. From what I read this will allow the fluke eggs to hatch as PP will kill only adults and not the eggs. BTW I change 99% ;) water everyday. And I'm planning to do the PP treatment for 3 cycles. Please check the video and let me know what you think about my fish.

Here is the youtube link - http://youtu.be/3dnl5c1cS7c

Oooh nice! I'm thinking of setting up a 55 Goldfish tank myself. Where did you get yours? (just wondering)

Thanks :) I guess you are asking about the fish. I got it from Petsmart. I went around and looked at couple of LFS and 3 different petsmart and a petco. Finally, I found the best of all in a petsmart and I guess it cannot be better than that store.

Back
Top Bottom