Tanks With Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That looks really nice! I've never really thought of micheals before. I'll try to look there this weekend. Hopefully i get as lucky as you with price haha. Thanks

That looks really nice! I've never really thought of micheals before. I'll try to look there this weekend. Hopefully i get as lucky as you with price haha. Thanks

Actually that's Marshall's (heard on this forum that they sometimes stock manzanita driftwood as wedding decor). But I might be heading to Michaels tonight to pickup some poly-fill or batting to help remove the cloudiness from the EcoComplete I just added to a new tank. Yes, the forecast is cloudy.
image-566495391.jpg

My driftwood! Just got it in!

Attachments

• image-1441130160.jpg
    image-1441130160.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 114
Make sure if you do get a peice that it is waterlogged/ has something like slate to hold it in place if not it is a pain lol. I have a big peice (very big) of dift wood that was going to be the focus of the tank but it wasnt waterlogged even after 2/3 weeks of soaking it with weight to keep it down. The holey rocks started coming in so it didnt go in the aquarium so that wood will be for another project. I have one piece I do like in the tank that I bought online.

img1261vs.jpg

img1264oa.jpg

img1282o.jpg

Ok I just went to my LFS to get some fish food then leave, but they had driftwood (they usually don't) in for only $10. So I finally got a piece. It's not manzanita like I have been looking for, but it is still nice. I think it's mopani or something, I don't remember. I'm soaking it in hot water as I type this :)

Marshall's* I mean. Not Micheal's

Glad you found some DW. Soak and boil it.

Did not see any at Michaels but I picked up a bag of Poly-Fil. Going to take a handful of it to clear up the tank then put the rest of it in a pillow case and sleep on it! LOL

Now that I look at it more, I think it might be Malaysian driftwood actually.

staticmap

The shop had no idea what my DW was but its got a flat root type section at base! I've attached a pic if you might have a bit of an idea? I'm soaking it in boiling water now!

Attachments

• image-3680779642.jpg
    image-3680779642.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 85
  • image-836208119.jpg
    image-836208119.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 89
The shop had no idea what my DW was but its got a flat root type section at base! I've attached a pic if you might have a bit of an idea? I'm soaking it in boiling water now!

Did u mean to post a google map pic?

My piece I collected myself. I love hunting for driftwood in the creek beds. I soaked the piece for four weeks and it still floated so I had to screw it to a rock.
ForumRunner_20130321_005617.jpg

Just a question?

I bought a piece of DW ( not sure what kind exactly) and I have it soaking in boiling water and I replenish the boiling water every 3 hours.

How long should I continue to do this before its tank ready?

Thanks

It can be considered tank ready after a few hours of soaking. All your basically trying to achieve with the soaking is to kill off any bacteria the wood may harbor. Getting the wood to sink is a different story. It can take days, weeks, even months for some pieces to sink and even though the color may seem displeasing, believe it or not, tannins are actually good for a few things in the tank such as plants and fish.

It can be considered tank ready after a few hours of soaking. All your basically trying to achieve with the soaking is to kill off any bacteria the wood may harbor. Getting the wood to sink is a different story. It can take days, weeks, even months for some pieces to sink and even though the color may seem displeasing, believe it or not, tannins are actually good for a few things in the tank such as plants and fish.

Oh thanks, I actually don't like the tannins making my water brown tho, I prefer it clear! But I have heard its not harmful but actually good.

Anyway I appreciate the advice, I was told it had to soak for a few months, that's way to long lol

It's all about preference, and the wood. It could take months, it could take a week. Some people just boil it once and throw it in the tank, and then just do water changes more often and eventually the tea color goes away. As far as getting it to sink, the easiest way is to just screw it to slate, and just hide the slate under your substrate.

I'm debating on whether or not to get some java moss to put on my driftwood. What do you guys think? Do you think that would look good, or should I just leave the driftwood bare? I can't decide so please say your opinions haha

Back
Top Bottom