Tanks With Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TwiinKey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I ordered driftwood and I'm not sure how I would like to arrange the tank to look. So if you have a tank with driftwood in it, feel free to share some pictures! I need some inspiration please! :)

It's a 29 gallon. And the driftwood is this. Hopefully the pic uploads

Attachments

• image-993688553.jpg
    image-993688553.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 237
That piece looks familiar, did you order off of eBay? If so, I contemplated buying that piece myself!

Well I was biding on it on eBay. But I just lost it. I was the highest bidder for a few days an put a max bid and someone bid while I was sleeping and won it, the auction ended at 7:30 am for me. Guess it's back to looking :/

That sucks. It wasn't me who outbid you, lol! Have you looked at PC1's driftwood? Really nice manzanita pieces and good prices. There's a link in his signature here to his stuff.

I finally got my driftwood! Well, ordered it. And it wasn't bidding so I will have it for sure haha. Let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

• image-3292561172.jpg
    image-3292561172.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 187
why dont you put it exactly like that in the back left corner of the tank? I think it looks great that way it sits and would definitely add a lot of height and dimension to the center if you did it that way...or you can put it on the right so the branchs hit the glass...I'm sure others will have advice on this too.

Yeah it does look good the way it is in the picture, so I probably will put it on the left like you said. Any other suggestions from other people though?

I love the look of drift wood, but I don't think I'll like the tannins it gives off and makes your tank water tea colour, but I'm contemplating, as I have a tall tank and want something with height!

Your piece looks perfect!

Yeah I'm going to repeatedly boil, soak, and hope for the best. People say that driftwood isnt worth the trouble of all the prep work to get it tank ready but I think it's worth it of you get the right piece. On my opinion, driftwood makes tanks look so much better! :)

I love the look of drift wood, but I don't think I'll like the tannins it gives off and makes your tank water tea colour, but I'm contemplating, as I have a tall tank and want something with height!

Nothing the following couldn't eventually fix.

1. Constant PWC's ... Yep can be a bit annoying.
2. Purigen & or Carbon in the filter ....Works wonders to help remove tannins.
3. Good ole 100% Poly-fill .. Also works wonders to help remove tannins.

Mopani DW tends to be the most notorious tannin pack DW commonly found at LFS's.

Just arrange it so you still get lots of water flow under it

I don't have any decor mainly because I need as much floor space as poss for my rays

But I have found the more decor you have the more places you have to trap dirt

Water conditions are the key to good fish keeping after all

WE DON'T KEEP FISH WE KEEP WATER

BAD WATER = NO FISH

Nothing the following couldn't eventually fix.

1. Constant PWC's ... Yep can be a bit annoying.
2. Purigen & or Carbon in the filter ....Works wonders to help remove tannins.
3. Good ole 100% Poly-fill .. Also works wonders to help remove tannins.

Mopani DW tends to be the most notorious tannin pack DW commonly found at LFS's.

Yes, I'm a newbie and my tank is just in its second week of cycling, I have carbon in filter, and I just bought a small driftwood with Anubis attached and it was in a tank at shop so no tannins as yet, I'll wait till I'm more established. Thanks for advice tho, every little bit helps my knowledge :) pick y'all brains lol

Just arrange it so you still get lots of water flow under it

I don't have any decor mainly because I need as much floor space as poss for my rays

But I have found the more decor you have the more places you have to trap dirt

Water conditions are the key to good fish keeping after all

WE DON'T KEEP FISH WE KEEP WATER

BAD WATER = NO FISH

Haha for me it's defiantly more water keeping as I have two very tiny tetras only just now.. Can't hardly see them even lol patients is a real virtue when starting this hobby!!!!

So I might not be getting that piece now :/ my mom was going to buy it for me but now she said she won't because the guy is asking for $15 just for shipping. So I'm looking for a nice piece that's not as expensive now.

So I might not be getting that piece now :/ my mom was going to buy it for me but now she said she won't because the guy is asking for $15 just for shipping. So I'm looking for a nice piece that's not as expensive now.

I found this piece at Marshalls for the grand price of $5:
image-182401523.jpg
It was marked down from $26. Measures about 16"x16", I cut it off two branches and used stainless steel screws to mount it to a piece of slate (from Lowes; next to the tile cutting machine; it was really a scrap piece and was free because they were going to throw it out). I drilled a bunch of holes because I was not sure where exactly I was going to to place them.
This will be going into a 20 g planted shrimp tank. These pics are from Petco 6.6 tank.

image-1262248402.jpg
image-126867947.jpg

Back
Top Bottom