The first inhabitants for my native tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sure is the same tank. It is a Rainbow Darter, I guess they are running a little early, I caught a ton of them and this guy stood out so I kept him to cycle the tank, I just hope I can find a stronger powerhead in my shed to replicate a fast creek current. I'll try to get better pics that show his colors the best.

Ok let me say I like native tanks. I plan on setting up a darter tank in the future also and always like seeing others native tanks. Good choice of natives look forward to more pictures of this tank as it progresses.

Now for my negatives. Cycling a tank with a darter? Darters are not a very hardy species these fish are used as indicator species of water quality and are a poor choice if one is going to use the fish cycle. I would also ditch the decor, if going natives why not native habitat? One of the rewards of keeping darters, as you have eluded to with the power head comment, is their normal behavior within their element. Set up the strong current and mock riffle will the substrate from the area you collected the darters, add some larger rocks to create small eddies and then some fine sand. A small piece of driftwood adds a lot to these tanks. Also substrate and rock from the same creek would almost negate the cycling issue at this point. We had chillers on several of the darter tanks during school. Definetly no need for a heater and should be avoided. An air pump or a power head with a venturi is also very nice addition. The key is cool, heavily oxygenated water. One last note to those wanting to keep wild caught natives, check local regulations, fines, impoundment of vehicles at site, and jail time could be associated with illegal collection. Also these habitats can be fragile overcollection can really quickly desimate a population in no time.

Excellent advice, Lepomis. I look forward to setting up a native tank some day, but need lots more research done. And a house where the temp is more controllable. It just gets too warm in our condo in the summer.

I did find a local collector who has the proper collection permits and knows his stuff-now I just need the tank space! And the house with the basement, of course....

I have already done all of the above as far as substrate, rocks and sand, the tank he is in right now is a 5 gal filled with creek water and yes "cycle" was probably not the best choice of words. I am going to set up a powerhead with a sponge prefilter and I found some nice small pieces of gnarled root in the creek that I will also be using. As far as regulations go I can collect something like five hundred before I need a permit the DNR has lumped them in with minnows and such. I just hope the Clado that's growing on the rocks survives.

Okay I kinda just walked into the opportunity to get a 40 long set-up dirt cheap, so my native tank is going to be "super sized". Which also widens the variety of fish I can keep in it. Woo hoo!

Well my native set-up may have temporarily come to a halt, I found a pet shop today that can get some :twisted: Poison Dart Frogs :twisted: for me. :D so as soon as I find out a price and what not I will again be trying to set-up my tank.

Gillie said:
Well my native set-up may have temporarily come to a halt, I found a pet shop today that can get some :twisted: Poison Dart Frogs :twisted: for me. :D so as soon as I find out a price and what not I will again be trying to set-up my tank.

Poison dart frogs?! Please keep the lid on that tight.

No worries, they're only poisonous if they eat a specific type of beetle. Being captive bred they should be no problem, thats the bonus all of the wonderful color without the death :D.

Gillie said:
No worries, they're only poisonous if they eat a specific type of beetle. Being captive bred they should be no problem, thats the bonus all of the wonderful color without the death :D.

That's a relief, but I foresee many pranks being played. Go ahead and tape the Discovery Channel episode about the frogs and then chase people around with your frogs.

black hills tj said:
IIRC poison dart frogs are only actually poisonous if you place them in your mouth. I believe their "poison" is secreted onto their skin as a self defense mechanism.

You put a frog in front of yourself that looks like candy and tell me you wouldn't put it in your mouth...

I thought so. :D

They need to eat insects that eat plants that are high in alkaloids to be poisonous. Lots and lots and lots of pranks, I was thinking something like showing of the frog and acting like I licked it and keeling over a few minutes later. Mean? Kinda. Funny? Most definitely!

Back
Top Bottom