The moon at dawn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefrunner69

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, I was getting ready to leave this morning (right around dawn) and I noticed that the moon was still up in the sky and the sun was just beginning to break the horizon. The moon was just past being full and I thought it looked pretty cool and I thought, well hell you were gonna be a few minutes early anyway, so I dashed inside and got the cam and the tripod but there was no way I could shoot the pic and have someone see what I saw. I tried to take several exposures exposing for both highlights and shadows, but the moon moves pretty fast and none of them matched up. Luckily I was shooting in RAW and what I ended up doing was taking the one that was closest to the middle and changing the exposure and shadows for highlights and converting it, then doing the same thing exposing it for shadows. I then used the instructions on this page http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/digital-blending.shtml and combining the two exposures. I thought it came out decent for the first time I had ever done this. I think this is most useful if you shoot in RAW or recognize the probability of a shot beyond the dynamic range of the cam and remember to bracket. I found even shooting from a tripod and using a cable release, the act of changing the dial for exposure moved the camera very slightly, but slight changes are magnified over distance. There is also the issue of wind through the tree branches. It is much simpler to use the same image, simply exposed differently.

Anyway, here is my first attempt at a digital blending.

Image exposed for shadows
DSCF1072light.jpg

Image exposed for highlights
DSCF1072.jpg

Image that has been digitally blended
DSCF1072_blended.jpg

Wow...super pic! I agree with Bearfan...you are a very talented photographer, and you sure know your way around Photoshop!

The blend looks pretty seamless to me.. very nice 8)

Here is another I did using the same source files and used a different action developed by a guy called herper (http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1006&message=8698417) on the dpreview forum, the action is free and I think it did a fine job, let me know which blend is better, I think it brought out ALOT more shadow detail and didn't over expose the highlights.

DSCF1072blend2.jpg

So which one is better?

No, hadn't planned on it, and I don't have a mylar filter and no camera shops anywhere close so it's pretty much not gonna happen for me.

I think I prefer the first blend.. the herper one looks a bit over-exposed to my eyes.

Hmmm, I like the mood produced by the first blend, but I think the second is a better blend and very true to what my eye saw.

Back
Top Bottom