Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2010, 10:36 PM   #11
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

yes, when the male shakes like that, it means he's wanting to breed... the recommended male to female ratio is 1:3-6+ because of the fact that the male will harass the female (as it appears with the torn fins in your case)... i've got the same problem with one of my males... i only have 1 female (hopefully that'll change tomorrow) and he is constantly wanting to breed but i dont think shes old enough yet...

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:07 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

ok well if i took back the acei's and got only 1 fish to put back, what would u recomend for a juvi in there for 4-6 weeks. never knew acei needed that much room to swim and im not going to be able to provide the male / female ratio that u recomend. so ill just replace them so she doesnt stress anymore and possibly die or make the whole tank sick

Old 03-14-2010, 11:27 AM   #13
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

well, that male to female ratio is for any of the africans for the most part... what you could do is get rid of the male and replace it with a female... all females would work fine, and a 55g would be fine for them, just not a 29g.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Old 03-14-2010, 11:59 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

will the lfs be able to get me a female or will they just guess again like last time they gave me 2 females lol
Old 03-14-2010, 12:22 PM   #15
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

it depends on the size of the fish and the quality of your lfs... probably no, but if the fish is old enough to tell, you can get a pretty good idea... research how to sex them and you can go in with a good idea of what to look for anyways

Tags
hare

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com